We love King Ranch Chicken. This layered casserole has corn tortillas, lots of sharp cheddar cheese and a chicken mixture that contains Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chilies, both cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, along with onions and green peppers. This gooey cheesy texture is so fantastic. It is a great casserole to make for company or prepare for someone when they don’t have time to cook — like the birth of a new baby, moving to a new location, funerals and bereavement, sickness in the home, or to welcome new neighbors.
I got the recipe from a dear pastor’s wife when we attended Southwest Baptist Church in DeSoto, Texas, and have never once failed to get compliments on this recipe. Kathy was (and is) a fabulous cook and I collected several of her delicious recipes. But I believe the original recipe comes from Ro-Tel (maker of canned tomatoes with diced chilies and other great products).
It is pretty easy to make and assemble. I make it ahead of time, put it on a time-bake and it’s ready when we get home from church on Sundays or other busy times. The recipe I got from Kathy is only slightly different from the original Ro-Tel recipe. If you’re looking for a great Tex-Mex recipe this casserole is superb!
When I initially posted this recipe in June of 2012, I had only been posting to my food blog for a day! My pictures were taken with a poor quality iPhone 3 because that’s the only camera I had available at the time. The pictures were blurry, grainy and dark. I recently remade this recipe (January 2015) for company and it got rave reviews. I served King Ranch Chicken with Savory Butternut Squash Bake and we certainly enjoyed everything. I’ve updated the pictures so you can get a better idea of what King Ranch Chicken is supposed to look like.
King Ranch Chicken is one of the BEST Tex-Mex Casseroles we’ve ever eaten.
There’s lots of juicy chicken in a sauce of cheese and creamed soups, diced tomatoes and chilies, peppers and onions, layered between corn tortillas and cheese. King Ranch Chicken is a great looking casserole, isn’t it?
Don’t you want to taste a bite of King Ranch Chicken right now?
Here’s what I did:
Place chicken breasts in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until cooked through.
Cut down chicken and cube. Set aside.
Meanwhile, make filling ingredients. Melt butter in skillet. Add diced green pepper and diced onion and saute veggies. Once veggies are fork tender, set aside.
In a large mixing bowl place diced tomatoes with green chilies, cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups, sauteed green peppers and onions and chicken cubes.
Stir everything together and sprinkle with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Spray baking dish with cooking spray. Cut corn tortillas in quarters. Spread to cover the bottom of the pan.
Spread one-third of the chicken mixture over top of the corn tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese.
Spread another layer of corn tortillas over top. Spread another third of the chicken mixture over top of corn tortillas.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Spread another layer of corn tortilla triangles on top of cheese.
Spread remaining chicken mixture over top of tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 35-45 minutes–or until hot and bubbly.
Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
Bake about 3-5 minutes more until cheese melts.
King Ranch Chicken is absolutely spectacular. This cheesy chicken dish is first rate.
We love King Ranch Chicken and we think you will too. Every time we serve King Ranch Chicken to company they also enjoy this great recipe.
Here’s the recipe.
KING RANCH CHICKEN
(Recipe adapted from Kathy Waite, Southwest Baptist Church, DeSoto, TX; source: Ro-Tel Tomatoes)
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts halves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (10-oz) cans [url href=”http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-Ranch-Chicken-3541.html” target=”_blank” title=”king ranch chicken”]Ro-Tel [/url]diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (10 ¾-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ¾-oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 12 (6-in) corn tortillas, cut into quarters (I probably use 16-20)
- 2 cups (8-oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I probably use 3 cups)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; place in a 9×13” baking dish.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until done; cool.
- Coarsely chop chicken and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and green pepper and cook, stirring mixture constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in chicken, tomatoes with green chilies, and soups.
- Place one-third of tortilla quarters in bottom of a lightly greased 9×13” baking dish; top with one-third chicken mixture, and sprinkle evenly with 2/3 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers twice, reserving 2/3 cup cheese.
- Bake at 325° for 35-45 minutes; sprinkle with reserved cheddar cheese, and bake additional 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This creamy casserole is so succulent and delectable. If you like Tex-Mex your family will love King Ranch Chicken.
King Ranch Chicken is a zesty Tex-Mex casserole that will have you and your family wanting more!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!