Here’s another great spinach recipe with pasta that’s family friendly and very quick and easy to put together. This fabulous Taste of Home recipe includes cheese tortellini, mushrooms, onions, garlic, cream cheese, spinach and mozzarella cheese as part of the ingredients. This is great served as either a main dish or side dish and is a great option for Meatless Mondays.
I think this recipe could also be made with ravioli and turn out wonderfully. If you’re looking for a way to add veggies to your meals this is a great way to include them. If you like pasta, if you like cheese, if you like spinach, you’ll enjoy this great entrée.
I’ve bumped up the flavor by adding several Italian seasonings to the sauce because the original recipe was too bland. If you like a zestier sauce, I would highly recommend adding either 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce to the sauce when you’re making it.
Here’s a look at this tasty main dish casserole.
Tortellini Spinach Bake is filled with cheese, tortellini and spinach.
Here’s a close up so you can see the texture of this main dish.
Here’s what I did.
Here are the ingredients I used.
Melt part of the butter in a large skillet. Wash and slice green onions and add to the butter in the skillet. Toss the green onions into the skillet.
Wash and slice mushrooms and add them to the skillet.
Microwave spinach in box for about 5 minutes (or thaw completely). Drain spinach and press all excess water out of it. Put spinach in bottom of large mixing bowl. (This is only 1 box of spinach).
Sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic and when done, pour into large mixing bowl with spinach.
Toss the cooked mushrooms into the bowl with the spinach.
In a separate sauce pan melt remaining butter. Add canned milk.
Melt the butter and milk.
Add cream cheese that has been cubed and whisk into butter/milk mixture and heat over low heat until thick.
Add salt, pepper, and remaining seasonings and heat sauce mixture through until thick. If you want a little more zest add either 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce here to amp up the flavor.
Boil tortellini according to package directions (about 2 minutes once boiling). Drain tortellini and toss into bowl with spinach and mushroom mixture.
Whisk sauce ingredients together until smooth. Add to bowl with the other ingredients.
Add the sauce to all the other ingredients in the bowl. Stir to combine.
Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. I used olive oil cooking spray. My dish is 10×15″. Pour casserole ingredients into sprayed baking dish.
I added a cup of mozzarella cheese. Cover casserole with foil and bake at 350 until bubbly, about 45 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Add another 8-oz. pkg. mozzarella cheese and bake another 10 minutes or so until cheese melts.
Doesn’t Tortellini Spinach Bake look marvelous?
Tortellini Spinach Bake is a wonderful dish you can make earlier in the day, refrigerate, and then heat up an hour or so before you need it ready. Yum.
The texture is gooey from all the cheese–in the sauce and on top of the casserole.
Here’s the recipe.
TORTELLINI SPINACH BAKE
(Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Church Supper Cookbook)
- 2 16-oz. pkgs. frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh tortellini)
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (or substitute 1-2 tbsp. minced garlic from a jar)
- ¼ tsp. onion powder (or substitute 3 green onions, sliced)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided use
- 12-oz. can evaporated milk
- 8-oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 2 10-oz. pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, cooked about 5 minutes in microwave and drained really well
- 8-oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the mushrooms, garlic and onion in ¼ cup butter until tender.
- Remove and keep warm.
- In another sauce pan, combine milk and remaining butter.
- Bring to a gentle boil over low heat; stir in cream cheese cubes with whisk.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme and parsley.
- Cook and stir at low heat until smooth and sauce thickens.
- In a large bowl, mix tortellini, drained spinach, mushroom mixture and sauce.
- Spread into a greased 10x14” baking dish.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake at 350˚ until heated through and cheese melts, about 45 minutes.
- Add additional 1 cup of cheese and bake an extra 5-10 minutes.
For a more lively taste, add ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper, or a few dashes of hot sauce to the sauce.
Mushrooms, onions and garlic add a delightful savory flavor to this dish.
The cheesy flavors of this casserole are mouthwatering!
Here’s a serving for you!
Tortellini Spinach Bake is a tasty main dish that’s a great option for Meatless Mondays.
You may also like these recipes: