Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry Over Spaghetti Squash is awesome. It’s one of those recipes I can’t get enough of! Every now and then you try a combination of foods, trying to use up leftovers or excess foods in your refrigerator, that really ends up being a spectacular dish.
This entree is one of those dishes. This delicious stir-fry dish is a wonderful way to eat hardy and satisfying meals without all the calories. The entree is filled with veggies. Lots of them. It uses broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, green beans, mushrooms, onions, a Serrano pepper for heat, and spaghetti squash instead of pasta or rice to serve everything over.
We are always trying out new combinations of veggies in order to eat healthier. This combination was particularly tasty. If you’re vegan you can eliminate the meat easily enough and still have a very substantial and filling meal.
I was trying to use up leftover rotisserie chicken so it went in this dish! My husband also prefers stir fries with meat rather than just vegetarian. This is low calorie, gluten and dairy free, and fairly economical if you are able to get these veggies in season.
If you enjoy clean eating recipes, I highly recommend Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry Over Spaghetti Squash. You can add other veggies if you have them and season the dish with more herbs and spices as you prefer.
When I initially posted this recipe in August 2012, I was still in the early days of getting my blog off the ground. My camera was an inferior iPhone 3 and I didn’t realize that food presents better on white rather than color. As a result, I’ve been going back through all my first year recipes where I took pictures with my phone and remaking them and redoing the pictures.
When I recently remade this recipe (September 2015) I didn’t have leftover rotisserie chicken on hand, so I baked 2 chicken breasts with a little poultry seasoning on them. Other than that, I stuck pretty much to the original recipe.
I made it for a friend who had taken a serious fall and broke some bones in her toes. She had company in at the time and this recipe made enough for them to get three hearty meals out of it! They loved the recipe and, quite frankly, it’s hard not to love a recipe that tastes this well and is healthy, to boot!
Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry Over Spaghetti Squash has a really delicious combination of flavors.
This entree is chocked full of veggies, is healthy, low calorie and gluten free.
Preparing a batch of Chicken and Veggie Stir-Fry Over Spaghetti Squash is a great way to use up extra garden produce.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Prepare chicken. Place two boneless chicken breasts in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle both sides with poultry seasoning. Bake about 45 minutes to an hour at 350 until done.
Allow meat to cool for a few minutes. Cut down into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
Meanwhile, bake the spaghetti squash in the oven at the same time. This will take approximately 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Cool squash and cut in half. Scoop out seeds. Remove strands of spaghetti squash with a fork.
Meanwhile, as your chicken and spaghetti squash are baking, prepare veggies for stir fry by washing and cutting down.
Sprinkle olive oil into a large skillet. Add celery, carrots and green beans. Cook 3-5 minutes with lid covered. (These will take the longest to cook so that’s how I layered everything in the pan).
Add mushrooms, red, orange, and yellow bell pepper strips, green onions and serrano pepper. The serrano pepper is going to give this dish its heat so you probably will not need to add black pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes with lid covered.
Add zucchini, broccoli and seasonings.
Add chicken strips. Stir and cover, stirring often until done and the veggies are crisp-tender. Don’t overcook.
Once veggies are fork-tender remove from heat.
Place Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry over top the spaghetti squash to serve.
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN AND VEGGIE STIR FRY OVER SPAGHETTI SQUASH
(My own concoction)
- About 3 cups leftover rotisserie chicken (see note)
- 1 spaghetti squash, baked, halved, seeds removed, and flesh pulled out of shell with a fork (set aside)
- 3-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut on the diagonal
- ¾ cup carrot chips or thinly, sliced carrots
- 1 to 1 ½ lbs. fresh green beans, ends removed
- 8-oz. container sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in long strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in long strips
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut in long strips
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 head broccoli florets, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded and sliced (add more for additional heat, less for less heat)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. leaf sage
- poultry seasoning (see note)
- Place spaghetti squash in oven at 350° to bake about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- If using uncooked chicken, see note below and follow directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan on medium burner.
- Add olive oil.
- Add celery, carrot chips or slices and green beans and cook 3-5 minutes with lid covered.
- Add mushrooms, peppers, onions, and Serrano pepper and cook about 3-5 minutes with lid covered.
- Add broccoli, zucchini, and seasonings.
- Then add chicken.
- Continue cooking with lid covered until vegetables are cooked crisp-tender.
- You don’t want them soggy or overcooked. It is better if they are slightly crisp to taste rather than limp.
- Meanwhile, remove squash from oven when done.
- Slice in half on bread board, remove seeds carefully.
- Using a fork remove the meat of the squash and place in serving bowl.
- To serve, spread spaghetti squash on a plate.
- Top with chicken and veggies.
Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry Over Spaghetti Squash is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and dairy free.
Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry Over Spaghetti Squash is a very hearty and satisfying clean eating meal.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $62.37Was: $73.99
Price: $11.99Was: $19.99