Chocolate lovers, you are going to love Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Biscotti! Start drooling. This biscotti is made with cocoa and strong coffee (use Starbucks if you like!), then you add dried cherries and toasted macadamia nuts, almonds or hazelnuts–or for that matter any kind of nut you prefer or have on hand! This is a great breakfast treat and actually isn’t too difficult to make.
While we were on Christmas vacation last year, the daughter of one of my friends sent me some pictures of this delicious recipe right after she made it. It looked beautiful. I decided to go ahead and try the recipe.
While she used craisins and almonds in her batch, I used dried cherries and macadamia nuts. They turned out wonderfully! I had never made biscotti before so I had no idea what the process was. These are baked twice. The second time after you cut down the original logs/rolls so they crisp up nicely.
If you enjoy biscotti for breakfast than why not give this fabulous recipe a try sometime? It’s great for special occasion breakfasts or brunches, too.
Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Biscotti is sure to be a hit with everyone in your home!
This is a great recipe for special occasion breakfasts like Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, anniversaries, birthdays, or just because……
Doesn’t Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Biscotti look wonderful? The incredible tastes of chocolate, coffee, cherries, and macadamia nuts permeate every bite of this luscious biscotti.
Here’s what I did.
Start with strong coffee. I’m not a coffee drinker and I didn’t feel like brewing a whole pot for 2 tablespoons of strong coffee so I used instant coffee granules. I used about 3/4 tablespoon in a half cup of water. Yes, REALLY strong! After stirring I measured out 2 tablespoons. Here’s the coffee with really hot water added.
Separate eggs. Either discard the yolks or use them for another purpose. Place whites in a mixing bowl.
Add oil and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer.
In another bowl measure UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Add dried cherries and toasted macadamia nuts. I put the nuts in my toaster oven for about 8 minutes at 350 and they probably only needed 6 or 7 minutes. Stir mixture to combine.
Now pour the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture. Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine. This will take awhile to get all the ingredients incorporated.
This is what the mixture looks like after stirring.
Shape chocolate biscotti mixture into logs and place on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Flatten the biscotti a little. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Here the biscotti has cooked for 30 minutes. I allowed them to cool about 5 minutes. I probably could have allowed them to cool a little longer.
Remove the biscotti to a large bread board. I used a pizza cutter and cut the biscotti on the diagonal. The second time the biscotti bakes it’s supposed to be on ungreased baking sheets, but I just put the biscotti slices back on the same sheet that still had cooking spray on it. I’m always leery of baking anything on an ungreased surface because I’ve had too many things stick over the years as a result.
Bake 20 minutes more at 350. Here’s what Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Biscotti looks like after cooking the second time.
This is a great breakfast treat with coffee, hot tea, or hot chocolate! The weather is nice outside right now. This is a great breakfast on the patio.
I didn’t actually count how many slices I got out of the two rolls but I think it was a little over 2 dozen slices.
Here’s the recipe.
CHOCOLATE CHERRY MACADAMIA BISCOTTI
(Recipe adapted from Krystan Asselin, source: Good Housekeeping—Christmas Cookies! 65 Recipes for Classic and New Holiday Treats)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp. strong brewed coffee
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, hazelnuts or other nuts
- 3-oz. bag dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease cookie sheets or spray well with Bakers, Joy cooking spray.
- In small bowl, beat together egg whites, oil, coffee, and vanilla.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nuts and craisins (or cherries if you are using them) until mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- This may take awhile.
- Shape dough into two 12” x 1” logs; place both on prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool logs on cookie sheet slightly before cutting.
- Don’t wait too long or they become difficult to cut.
- Cut diagonally into scant ½” thick slices.
- Arrange biscotti cut side up on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 20 minutes until dry.
- Rotate cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking.
- After baking a second time, transfer biscotti to rack to cool.
- Can store in a cookie jar or air-tight container up to 3 weeks.
- Makes 2-2 ½ dozen biscotti (not the 48 the recipe originally suggested).
Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Biscotti is a great breakfast idea for special occasions, brunches, or to keep on hand for snacks!
Here’s another look at this delightful recipe. Yum, yum! Imagine sinking your teeth in this delicious biscuit-type cookie. Take a basket of these to work and they’ll be gone in no time. Serve Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Biscotti for breakfast some Saturday morning and you will be cleaned out pronto!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: $16.99Was: $23.16
Price: $16.00Was: $18.99