I love cookies, brownies, bars, any kind of confection. I think I enjoy baking cookies and brownies almost as much as I enjoy eating any kind of home baked goodies. I love the thrill of trying new recipes and when they turn out exceptionally well, that is its own reward. I also love baking with chocolate — be they chocolate chips, chocolate bars, chocolate candies or, as in this case, chocolatey M&Ms. They taste amazing in brownies and bars as this recipe will attest to.
I was looking on the Internet last week trying to find ways to use up some of my leftover M&Ms from Christmas baking and came across this recipe. I decided to give it a try and I am so glad I did. It’s a delicious, chewy blondie-type recipe with M&Ms spread over the top. As recipes go, this one is pretty easy and it looks lovely too! If you’re an M&M lover you will love digging your teeth into one of these amazing cookie bars. I am grateful to Christine at Fantastic Family Favorites for posting this exceptional recipe. Her source was Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
This recipe is great for holiday treats, but M&Ms are available in stores year round so you can make these scrumptious M&M Cookie Bars any time of the year and for any occasion! Baby or bridal showers, brunches, soccer games or practice, office parties, school parties, or just for your family and friends. Your kids will love these tasty treats. Why not put this great recipe on your list for those recipes you want to try soon? You won’t be sorry.
M&M Cookie Bars are rich, decadent, chewy, and sumptuous! Eat bite is loaded with chocolatey M&Ms.
If you love M&Ms you will love these amazing cookie bars. Prepare yourself for a feast.
Here’s what I did.
Melt butter. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla.
You will need one egg yolk. Separate white from yolk. Allow the white to drip off into a bowl. Use your finger to wipe egg white off shell.
Add egg yolk, whole egg, baking soda, kosher salt or sea salt. Whisk ingredients together.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens any type of baked goods. Add 1 cup M&Ms to batter and stir ingredients with a wooden spoon. Mixing with a mixer will toughen baked goods.
Here I’ve stirred all the batter together.
Spray 9×13″ baking pan with cooking spray. Press cookie dough into pan.
Sprinkle remaining cup of M&Ms on top of cookie dough and press M&Ms down slightly with hand. I used regular M&Ms for this recipe. Quite frankly, I prefer these over the miniature M&M baking bits in the baking aisle. These cook up nicer in my opinion.
Bake M&M Cookie Bars at 350 for 24-28 minutes. Keep an eye on them after 20 minutes.
M&M Cookie Bars are a great snack to take along for picnics, potlucks, or baseball practice!
These bars are pretty easy to make up, too. You can have a batch of these delicious goodies whipped up in no time. Have a plate of M&M Cookie Bars with a tall glass of milk. They will satisfy any sweet tooth!
Here’s the recipe.
M&M COOKIE BARS
- 2⅛ cups UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 12oz. bag M&M's, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position.
- Spray a 9x13” baking pan or dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk the melted butter, sugars, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add flour and 1 cup of M&M's and stir with wooden spoon just until combined.
- Don’t beat. Overmixing the flour will toughen the brownies.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula if necessary.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup M&M's on top and press in slightly.
- Bake until the bars are lightly golden, slightly firm to the touch, and the edges start pulling away from the sides of the pan, approximately 24-28 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack to room temperature.
- Cut into bars and serve.
M&M Cookie Bars are delectable. Why don’t you try one?
Don’t these look spectacular? I’m ready for one right now.