Bacon, Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches are awesome! Last week I made this new monster of a sandwich. Wow, was it ever amazing. This is another rendition of John’s fabulous Grilled Swiss Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches and my spectacular Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches. With BACON! Oh, boy! I have to admit I loved the taste of this sandwich even if it was mammoth in size. Lots of succulent bacon, Swiss cheese, tomato and avocado slices grilled up to perfection. I drooled over every bite.
For those of you who enjoy bacon or BLT sandwiches, you’ve just got to add this sandwich to your repertoire–especially if you’re an avocado or guacamole lover. This sandwich is so hearty, filling and completely satisfying it’s hard to eat more than a half. I know I couldn’t. It’s a great sandwich to make after a long day of soccer or baseball games or when you’ve had hectic schedules. It’s not too difficult, it doesn’t take too long, and when you’re finished you’ve experienced a wonderful comfort food.
I prefer to microwave the bacon rather than fry it because that process seems to remove all the excess fat. Then all you do is slice down tomatoes and avocados into thin slices and add Swiss cheese. I used a very substantial homemade bread: Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread, because you need to have a bread that won’t fall apart when grilling like regular store-bought white bread will do. So if you want to make this recipe, don’t cheap out on the bread. Sourdough, pumpernickel, and some rye breads will also work out well.
If you’re looking for a huge lunch or dinner sandwich (that really feeds two people!), with incredible taste and the savory blends of bacon, cheese, avocados and tomatoes then please consider making this monster sandwich sometime! It is fantastic! Your mouth will be salivating and you will be wondering when you can make this again!!!
Bacon, Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches are so succulent to the taste buds. You will LOVE this sandwich!
Here I’ve stacked this monster sandwich! Bacon, Swiss, Tomato and Avocado sandwiches are great sandwiches to serve out on your patio for lunch or dinner when you’ve had a busy day.
This view shows all the delicious tomatoes, avocados and bacon in the sandwich. Each sandwich has 4 slices of Swiss cheese so it’s nice and gooey!
Bacon, Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches are so filling and hearty. I could only eat half of this sandwich!
Here’s what I did.
Start with a good strong, artisan bread, Crusty Bread, or something like Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread. Place a piece of Swiss cheese in center of each piece of bread. Break another piece of cheese in half and place each half to the sides of the center piece so most of the bread is covered. Add an overlapping layer of thinly sliced tomatoes over top of one of the pieces of bread.
Add an overlapping layer of thinly sliced avocados over top of the tomatoes.
I used 3 bacon slices, microwaved. I found it easier to break the bacon in half and lay the bacon vertically rather than keeping them whole and laying them horizontally on the bread. The bacon kept falling off the bread that way. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Carefully cover the bacon with the remaining piece of bread and cheese slices. Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet over low to medium heat. Anything over medium and the bread will scorch. Place sandwich in center of skillet.
Cover with some kind of glass lid. Here, the lid is really laying on top of the bread because the sandwich is too deep for the pan. So you really have to have a heavy-duty bread for this to work. The lid helps keep the heat and moisture in the pan so the cheese will readily melt. Otherwise, your bread will be too brown and the cheese not melted. After grilling about 10 minutes I very carefully turned the sandwich over and grilled the other side. Cover with lid again. I did not add any additional butter.
I served Bacon, Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches with flatbread chips and cantaloupe. This recipe isn’t difficult. You just have to be patient and cook at a lower temperature so the cheese melts and the bread doesn’t become scorched.
The only difficult thing about this sandwich is inverting the sandwich when you have to turn it over and cook the other side. It takes a delicate touch to transfer the sandwich without everything falling out!
You can see that I used thick slices of homemade bread with this sandwich. That worked out perfectly. I would not recommend a thinly sliced bread or a real airy, fluffy-type bread. You will end up with a mess. Lots of gooey Swiss cheese, delicious tomatoes and avocados, and savory bacon in every bite. Yum.
Here’s the recipe.
BACON, SWISS, TOMATO AND AVOCADO SANDWICHES
(My own concoction)
- 3 slices bacon, microwaved 3-4 minutes until cooked crisp, not burned
- half of a tomato, thinly sliced
- half of an avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 slices hearty thick-sliced [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/06/28/whole-wheat-no-knead-bread/” target=”_blank” title=”whole wheat no-knead bread”]bread[/url], Texas Toast, or artisan bread
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Microwave bacon and set aside.
- Place bread on a plate.
- Place a piece of cheese in the middle of each piece of bread.
- Cut remaining two slices in half.
- Place a half on each side of the center piece of cheese for both pieces of bread.
- Add a layer of overlapping tomato slices on one piece of bread.
- Add a layer of overlapping avocado slices overtop of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle both pieces of bread generously with salt and pepper.
- Place cooked bacon strips on top of the avocados.
- Invert remaining piece of bread with cheese over top of bacon.
- Melt butter in a 10-to 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwich in middle of skillet.
- Do your best to cover the sandwich with a lid (the sandwich will probably be too high), so the cheese can melt.
- I laid the lid on top of the bread.
- Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes.
- Very carefully, turn the sandwich over with a large heavy duty spatula (so that all the ingredients don’t fall out into the pan).
- Cover again with lid.
- Grill the other side of the bread an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Carefully insert long spatula under sandwich and transfer to serving plate.
Don’t this Bacon, Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwich look marvelous?
If you like bacon and avocados, you will love this sandwich. The bacon added such a flavorful, savory taste to this sandwich. If you like BLT sandwiches and avocados you will love this sandwich.
Swiss cheese makes all the difference. This sandwich tastes so much better with Swiss cheese rather than cheddar cheese. The savory tastes of the bread, the bacon, and the cheese are so completely satisfying. Add in my two favorite veggies: tomatoes and avocados and voila! This sandwich is comfort food at its best!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $25.99Was: $99.99
Price: Out of stock