This has got to be one of the BEST pasta recipes we’ve ever eaten. Seriously. Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies is loaded with fresh veggies, ground beef, a homemade ragu sauce, lots of cheese and cheese tortellini. It is so mouthwatering and delicious I guarantee you will not only love this recipe, you’ll be coming back for more and more and more!
I was asked to provide lunch at our church last Sunday for new members who had recently joined the church. I was told to plan for about 30. It’s rare indeed when I turn down an opportunity to cook, especially for others. I have to be up to my gills with other work or out of town to decline. So I volunteered to do so gladly.
I began combing Pinterest to see if I could find some pasta dishes that could be made up the day before (Saturday) and cooked on Sunday (during our church service). I knew that would mean that the recipe would have to have plenty of sauce, otherwise the noodles would absorb all the liquid and the pasta would dry out too much.
I decided to give Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies a try. Wow. All I can say is this pasta dish was amazing, and I’m not the only one who thought so. EVERYONE that I surveyed at our luncheon loved this recipe. Even the kids ate up this tasty recipe and it’s filled with carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. It’s so very cheesy–even triple cheesy. It has cheese in the tortellini, cheese in the sauce, and cheese on top of the casserole before baking. Have I said that this pasta dish is wonderful?? 🙂 🙂
If you’re looking for a spectacular pasta dish to serve your family, company, or to take to a potluck, then I can’t recommend Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies highly enough. You’ll certainly satisfy your pasta addiction with this recipe, and find yourself with a plate of the most delectable comfort food ever!
Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies was so mouthwatering, almost everyone to whom we served it got second helpings!
Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies is a great way for your kids to eat their veggies! 🙂
This lovely pasta dish has triple the cheese with cheese in the tortellini, cheese in the ragu sauce and cheese on top of the casserole. It’s amazing.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients in making the ragu sauce.
Drizzle olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add ground beef, onions and carrots and cook until ground beef is cooked through and carrots are fork tender.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, basil oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat at least 10 minutes while you prepare the veggies.
I used these ingredients after the ragu sauce started cooking.
Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet. Add zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper. Sprinkle heavily with salt and pepper. Saute about 5-8 minutes until veggies soften.
Add squash mixture to ragu sauce and stir to combine.
Add more olive oil, if necessary. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute 5-10 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and lightly browned.
Add mushroom mixture to ragu sauce and stir to combine.
Add UNCOOKED cheese tortellini and part of the mozzarella cheese.
Spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Spread tortellini/ragu mixture into prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Cover with foil.
Bake about 30 minutes at 350. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or so until cheese is lightly browned.
If you enjoy pasta entrees, then you’ll love Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies.
Here’s the recipe.
CHEESY TORTELLINI WITH VEGGIES
(Recipes adapted from Carlsbad Cravings)
- [b]RAGU SAUCE[/b]:[br]
- 1 lb. 96% lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 14.5-oz. cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 26-oz. jar Prego spaghetti sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. thyme
- scant ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tsp. sugar[br]
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 8-oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste[br]
- 32-oz. pkg. cheese tortellini, UNCOOKED
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided use
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet.
- Add ground beef, onions, carrots and ½ tsp. each of salt and pepper and sauté until beef is browned.
- Transfer mixture to a large 6-qt. Dutch oven.
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, bay leaves and sugar.
- Simmer while you chop the veggies. [br]
- In skillet add another tablespoon or so of olive oil, add zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for about 5-8 minutes or until veggies soften slightly.
- Add squash mixture to large Dutch oven.
- Add another tablespoon of olive to skillet and sauté garlic and mushrooms for 5-8 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Add mushroom mixture to Dutch oven.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes until flavors mingle well and carrots are fully cooked.
- Remove bay leaves. [br]
- Stir in cheese tortellini ([u]UNCOOKED[/u]) and 1 ½ cups cheese.
- Spray a 9×13” glass baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Pour tortellini mixture into prepared dish.
- Top with remaining 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove foil and return to oven about 5 more minutes or until cheese gets lightly browned, if desired.
Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies is kid friendly.
Cheesy Tortellini with Veggies is comfort food at its best.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Check on Amazon