Do you want to taste some of the most delectable muffins in the world? Pina Colada Streusel Muffins are filled with pineapple, coconut and coconut extract, topped with a macadamia nut streusel topping and a vanilla cream frosting. These muffins are crunchy on the outside because of the nutty, streusel topping and fruity and sweet on the inside from pineapple Greek yogurt. They are to die for, seriously!
A couple of months ago, our pastor’s wife contacted me about providing breakfast for a Ladies’ Conference the last weekend of February. I decided to make seven different kinds of streusel muffins including two that were gluten free. I had a feeling that some muffins made with pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts would be heavenly. I was right, they turned out so incredibly well.
As it happened, Dallas had several ice and snow storms the preceding week and even the day before and the day of the conference so we had to scrap our original plans and my breakfast items were served for all those who came early for breakfast that Sunday, instead. While my blueberry and raspberry muffins were the first to go, the Pina Colada Streusel Muffins were probably my personal favorites out of the seven different muffins I made. But that’s because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE coconut. Having additional coconut flavoring in the batter also increased the flavor astronomically. So for pineapple lovers (like my husband) or coconut lovers (like me), these really rate very highly.
If you’re looking for an exceptionally good muffin for Easter or Mother’s Day breakfast, or any other holiday or special occasion breakfast, why not give Pina Colada Streusel Muffins a try. Each bite is breathtaking. These muffins sure are a wonderful breakfast surprise for any guests you have overnight or to make for a large country breakfast some Saturday morning. Try them and you’ll see what I mean.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins will make you drool.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins are filled with pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts.
These muffins are a great option for holiday menus.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the muffins.
Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add pineapple Greek yogurt, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, coconut extract, salt, baking powder, baking soda and heavy whipping cream.
Mix ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add drained crushed pineapple and coconut.
Stir ingredients gently with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix the batter.
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray with flour. I used Pillsbury. Spoon batter into muffin tins to the top.
I used these ingredients to make the streusel topping.
Melt butter. Add remaining ingredients.
Spread streusel topping evenly among each muffin. Press crumbs into muffin batter gently so the ingredients adhere.
Bake muffins in a preheated 425 oven for 5 minutes. Adjust heat to 350 and bake an additional 15-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool muffins before adding glaze.
I used these ingredients to make the icing. Cream works much better than milk in this recipe.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Spoon icing into a zip lock bag and secure the zipper. Cut off a very small tip from one corner.
Pipe icing over top of muffins in any pattern you desire.
While these muffins are a little more involved than some muffins, they taste so scrumptious you will eat up the whole batch in no time.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins include coconut extract providing a wonderful pina colada flavor.
Here’s the recipe.
PINA COLADA STREUSEL MUFFINS
(Recipe inspired from my Strawberry Pecan Streusel Muffins)
- [b]STREUSEL TOPPING:[/b][br]
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal [/url]UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ cup sliced macadamia nuts[br]
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5.3-oz. container Pineapple ala mode Greek yogurt (or any pineapple yogurt)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. [url href=”http://www.durkee.com/durkee-home” target=”_blank” title=”durkee coconut extract”]Durkee[/url] coconut extract
- 2 cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal flour”]Gold Medal [/url]UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 20-oz. crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 cup coconut[br]
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. [url href=”http://www.bordendairy.com/” target=”_blank” title=”borden heavy whipping cream”]Borden[/url] heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- The mixture will be crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray muffin pans with Baker’s Joy or other nonstick cooking spray with flour.
- Set aside.[br]
- In a medium bowl combine butter, sugars, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, coconut extract, baking soda, baking powder, salt and whipping cream and mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in flour, coconut and drained, crushed pineapple gently with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just moistened.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin tins all the way up to the top.
- Crumble the crumb topping over each muffin and press the topping down gently into the muffins.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°.
- Adjust heat to 350° and bake for 15-19 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Add glaze. [br]
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Allow muffins to cool about 10 minutes in muffin tins.
- Remove muffins from baking tins and place on wire rack.
- Place glaze mixture in a zip lock bag and cut off corner.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins.
Don’t Pina Colada Streusel Muffins look delectable?
If you enjoy pineapple, you’ll love these breakfast muffins.
Pina Colada Streusel Muffins make a delightful holiday breakfast for Easter or Mother’s Day.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon