Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins are awesome. I love chocolate and banana together. I used to make a Chocolate Banana Delight recipe back in the 70s where half of the layered dessert used chocolate pudding and half used banana pudding. The pudding layer was sandwiched between a cream cheese layer and whipped topping layer on a wonderful nutty crust.
Well, chocolate and banana go together superbly in muffins, too. Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins are some of the best I’ve ever eaten. These lovely muffins are made with banana cream Greek yogurt, mashed bananas and pecans. Then there’s a streusel topping that includes more pecans on top. After the muffins are baked, a yummy vanilla cream frosting is glazed over top.
Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins are rich, decadent and so drool-worthy. Because I used miniature chocolate chips, literally every bite is filled with chocolate. Because there’s sugar in the muffin base, sugar in the streusel and sugar in the icing, these muffins are very sweet. These muffins combine the best of Banana Bread with chocolate chips and are absolutely to die for.
I was actually trying to use up some very ripe bananas last month when I decided to throw this recipe together based on my favorite streusel muffin recipes. After making up a batch, I put the muffins in plastic containers and stored them in the freezer.
Then a day or two later, one of the gals in our church had a baby. I offered to bring them a meal and also brought one of the containers of muffins along with me. She was in the middle of studying for her nursing finals, so having a meal plus fruit and muffins for breakfast was very helpful. The other container is going to a friend today who is laid up because of back pain. I’m taking her a meal and thought I would bring the frozen muffins and some fruit for breakfast tomorrow.
If you want to taste the BEST chocolate-banana muffins out there, then you need to make Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins immediately! 🙂 I tell you, after one bite of these muffins you’ll be salivating until your next bite.
Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins are amazing.
If you enjoy bananas and chocolate together, these muffins are spectacular.
Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins are great for holiday breakfasts.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the muffin base.
Mix softened butter, brown sugar, banana cream Greek yogurt, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla and heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add mashed bananas, pecans and miniature chocolate chips.
Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared tins and fill to the top.
I used these ingredients to make the streusel topping.
Melt butter. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Evenly divide streusel topping among 18 muffin tins. Press streusel ingredients lightly into the muffin batter so ingredients adhere.
Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 15-19 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before adding glaze.
I used these ingredients to make the vanilla cream glaze.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Fill a zip lock bag with the glaze. Cut off one corner and pipe icing over top of muffins.
Glaze muffins as desired.
Every bite of Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins just bursts with flavor!
These muffins are so rich they’re like eating dessert!
Here’s the recipe.
CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD STREUSEL MUFFINS
(Recipe inspired from my Strawberry Pecan Streusel Muffins)
- [b]STREUSEL TOPPING:[/b][br]
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts[br]
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5.3-oz. container [url href=”http://www.dannon.com/” target=”_blank”]Dannon[/url] Banana Cream Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. [url href=”www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Pure-Vanilla-Extract” target=”_blank”]McCormick’s[/url] pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups [url href=”www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork (about 2 cups mashed bananas)
- 1 cup semi-sweet miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts[br]
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 4-5 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. [url href=”http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Pure-Vanilla-Extract” target=”_blank”]McCormick’s[/url] pure vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- The mixture will be crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray muffin pans with Baker’s Joy nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.[br]
- In a medium bowl combine butter, sugars, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt and whipping cream and mix with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in flour, bananas, chocolate chips and pecans gently with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just moistened.
- Don’t overmix the batter.
- Spoon the muffin batter into prepared muffin tins all the way up to the top.
- Crumble the streusel topping over each muffin and press the topping down gently into the muffins.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°.
- Adjust heat to 350° and bake for 15-19 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Add glaze. [br]
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Allow muffins to cool about 10 minutes in muffin tins.
- Remove muffins from baking tins and place on wire rack.
- Place glaze mixture in a zip lock bag and cut off a small tip from one corner.
- Drizzle glaze over muffins.
If you want a great recipe for a large country breakfast, give these muffins a try.
Serve Chocolate Banana Bread Streusel Muffins the next time you want muffins for breakfast.
You may also enjoy these delightful recipes!