These blondies are amazing. I absolutely adored the texture of Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars. These bars are made with Greek yogurt, chocolate chunks and bananas and they are so delightful. A lot of times bananas in recipes make baked goods more cake like, but these bars reminded me of Trail Mix Bars or shortbread bars except that they don’t have all the extra stuff in them. Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars are truly snack-like, and even though they’re a little gooey from the melting of the chocolate chunks, the texture is not especially gooey over all.
Last month John loaded me down with bananas right before he went out of town for a week. I ended up with about 15 bananas I needed to use up. So after making a batch of Chunky Monkey Brownies, I decided to make up this delicious dessert to use up a few more. I kept nibbling, and nibbling and nibbling on these scrumptious treats! Then I stashed them in the freezer to use as gifts before I could down the whole batch!
While the original recipe calls for chocolate chips rather than chocolate chunks, I had some chocolate chunks I wanted to use up so I used them instead. Both work equally well. The recipe also tried to lighten up or “healthify” these bars by also using Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour. I thought those ingredients worked exceptionally well in this cookie. But if you don’t have whole wheat flour I’m sure you could use unbleached flour like I did without severe repercussions.
If you’re looking for a fantastic way to use up bananas, or you love the combination of chocolate and banana, then this is the dessert bar for you! It’s really not difficult to make and your family will enjoy these every bit as much as we did.
Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars are incredibly delicious.
These bars are nice and thick – very satisfying for even the pickiest appetite!
Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars are delightful treats that are great for tailgating parties.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Mix sugar, brown sugar, eggs, Greek yogurt, butter, salt, baking powder and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. (Bleached flour toughens baked goods). Add whole wheat flour, mashed bananas and part of the chocolate chunks.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine. The mixture is a little on the dryer side.
Spread batter into a greased 9×13″ baking dish. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chunks on top.
Bake at 350 for about 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. If desired, sprinkle powdered sugar over top of the bars before cutting.
Cut bars into 24 servings.
You will love these rich, chocolaty snack bars.
Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars are great snacks to take with you to soccer games or other outside kid events.
Here’s the recipe.
BANANA CHOCOLATE CHUNK SNACK BARS
(Recipe adapted from Carmel Moments)
- 2 cups King Arthur whole wheat flour
- 2 cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Chobani plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup mashed bananas, or about 3 bananas
- 11.5-oz. pkg. Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chunks
- extra semi-sweet chunks for the top of the bars
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- Mix sugars, eggs, butter, Greek yogurt, salt, baking powder and vanilla with an electric mixer until well mixed.
- Add flours, mashed bananas and a package of semi-sweet chunks.
- Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Grease a 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Spread mixture into prepared dish and smooth the top with a knife or rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup semi-sweet chunks on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350° for about 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, as desired.
- Cut into bars.
Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars are great for holiday baking, too!
Don’t you wish you could dig into one of these Banana Chocolate Chunk Snack Bars right now?
If you enjoy bananas and chocolate, you will find these bars delightful!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!