Okay, when I say “BEST” I really mean “BEST!” BEST Strawberry Cupcakes are so scrumptious you will be drooling after one bite. No kidding. This was one of those recipes I collected several years ago that I just never got around to making. Though I still want to make it as a cake, I decided to try it first in cupcake form. Oh, my, goodness. Heavenly does not even begin to come close to describing this decadent, delicious, delectable dessert.
When I first pinned this recipe back in 2013, it was one of those pins that got pinned and repinned at a really high rate. And really, who can resist a recipe entitled The BEST Strawberry Cake? Well, I have three or four Strawberry Cake recipes in my recipe collections, some with a cream cheese icing, others with a buttercream icing, but this recipe takes the cake! Truly. It is THE BEST Strawberry Cupcakes or cake recipe you will ever eat.
Why, you say? It uses strawberry gelatin and (frozen then thawed) pureed strawberries and syrup in the cake, and the icing uses more pureed strawberries and syrup and strawberry extract! I’d never heard of using strawberry flavoring in any recipe before this one. I had to go out and purchase it, because it’s one of the few extracts I don’t keep on hand. These cupcakes were moist, filled with strawberry flavor and had an amazing frosting. Then of course, I topped each one with fresh strawberries for presentation and to pack an additional punch of flavor. Divine.
I had a friend call me and ask me if I wanted to provide some desserts for a youth fundraiser dinner she was helping to hostess. The organizer actually wanted cakes, so when I suggested cupcakes and brownies, she was willing to acquiesce but she really wanted cakes. I didn’t have time to do all of it, so I made these cupcakes along with some Lemon Blondies and my Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies. Debra bought a couple of bakery cakes to appease the hostess. But she told me that she had 10-15 people come up to her afterwards and tell her they loved my desserts. These cupcakes in particular, were a spectacular hit. I know why. They are just mouthwateringly good. Had I not given them away, I would have eaten a LOT more than the one I sampled.
I’m not really much of a cupcake baker. I’m used to making cakes instead. It’s only been since I’ve started this blog that I’ve really gotten into making muffins more often. I suppose I don’t like taking the time to decorate individual cupcakes that’s holding me back. Really, though, they’re not all that difficult.
If you’re looking for a scrumptious strawberry-flavored dessert to serve your family, friends, company, or to take to an office party then, by all means, take some of my BEST Strawberry Cupcakes. They are so amazing all your friends will be raving and drooling over them like there’s no tomorrow!
BEST Strawberry Cupcakes are a sensational treat to make for holidays like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, anniversaries, or for Christmas holiday baking.
These festive cupcakes were a huge hit with the folks we served them to.
BEST Strawberry Cupcakes have a rich strawberry-flavored cream cheese frosting to die for!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the cake.
Mix dry cake mix and dry strawberry gelatin until no lumps remain.
Add eggs, oil and water. Puree thawed strawberries in a blender. Add to other ingredients.
Mix ingredients with an electric mixer until well blended and smooth.
Place cupcake holders in muffin tins. Spray each with cooking spray. Divide cake batter among 24 or 25 cake tins.
Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely. (I ate that skinny cupcake in the middle that was only about half size). 🙂
I used these ingredients to make the frosting.
Cream softened unsalted butter and softened cream cheese with a blender until smooth.
Add strawberry puree and strawberry extract.
Mix with an electric mixer to combine.
Add powdered sugar a cup at a time, mixing with an electric mixer after each addition.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy and all the sugar is incorporated.
Spoon cream cheese frosting into a pastry bag. Pipe filling over top of cupcakes in any pattern you desire.
Garnish cupcakes with sliced strawberries, as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
BEST Strawberry Cupcakes will certainly have you salivating like Pavlov’s dogs! 🙂
Here’s the recipe.
BEST STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
(Recipe adapted from Cooking with Crevolyn)
- 15.85-oz. box [url href=”http://www.duncanhines.com/” target=”_blank”]Duncan Hines[/url] white cake mix (not YELLOW!)
- 3-oz. box dry instant strawberry gelatin
- 15-oz. container frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water[br]
- [b]CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:[/b][br]
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 10-oz. frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- ½ tsp. strawberry extract
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place muffin or cupcake liners in muffin tins and spray the inside of the paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin.
- (Make sure you get all the lumps out of the mix).
- Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil and water and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour into prepared liners and bake at 350° for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Cool completely before frosting with cream cheese frosting. [br]
- Beat butter and cream cheese with mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in ¼ cup of the pureed strawberries and the strawberry extract.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time beating well after each addition.
- Beat until you reach the desired consistency.
- Spoon frosting into a pastry bag and pipe frosting over top of cupcakes.
- Garnish with fresh strawberry slices, as desired.
Every bite of BEST Strawberry Cupcakes is amazing.
I could have downed 3 or 4 of these jewels in one sitting if I’d had my way! 🙂
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!