Jalapeno Cheddar Honey Cornbread is absolutely delightful. Every now and then you land on a GREAT recipe! Granted, this is a hot recipe because it has jalapenos, but it is also sweet because it uses three kinds of sweeteners–sugar, brown sugar and honey! The cheddar cheese adds flavor and the buttermilk keeps it moist. If you’re a cornbread lover like I am, this recipe has to be included in your repertoire.
Most of you know how much I enjoy cornbread! I have tons of cornbread recipes on my blog, including one for sweet potatoes, one with bacon and cheese that’s to die for, a Boston Market Cornbread copycat recipe, Mexican Cornbread made with green chiles, one with broccoli (!), one with Bacon, Jalapeno and gruyere cheese, and several others that have Molasses, sweet cornbreads or gluten free. Most of them use buttermilk, although I usually sour my own milk which I did for this recipe.
We belong to two different care groups in our church and we took a batch of this cornbread and Deer Chili to both of them. Texans love their cornbread especially served with chili, Chicken Tortilla Soup or Taco Soup. In fact, cornbread trumps homemade bread or rolls in most cases–especially when serving chili or Tex-Mex recipes.
If you like a spicy, hot cornbread, then look no farther than Jalapeno Cheddar Honey Cornbread. It’s great with any soup or chili – or serve it for breakfast with honey drizzled over the top. 🙂
Jalapeno Cheddar Honey Cornbread combines sweet, savory and spicy flavors. It’s an unbeatable combination.
If you enjoy jalapenos with your cornbread, this recipe is fantastic.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. If you can find a good stone ground corn instead of the over-refined stuff in the grocery stores you will end up with better flavor and texture. I used Wayside Inn’s Grist Mill corn meal.
Combine honey, eggs, buttermilk or soured milk and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
Whisk until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine, flour, sugar, brown sugar, corn meal, salt, baking soda and finely diced jalapeno peppers. (Make sure to remove all the seeds). Stir to combine.
Add cheddar cheese. I used a Mexican cheese blend. Stir again to combine.
Pour buttermilk mixture into corn mixture and stir to combine.
Grease or spray an 8×12″ glass baking dish. Pour cornbread mixture into prepared dish. Top with jalapeno slices if desired. (I removed all the seeds).
Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. Tent with foil after 15 minutes if getting too brown. (I did not need to do this).
Cut into pieces to serve.
Jalapeno Cheddar Honey Cornbread is scrumptious….especially if you enjoy spicy cornbread!
Here’s the recipe.
JALAPENO CHEDDAR HONEY CORNBREAD
(Recipe adapted from Eat Cake For Dinner)
- 1 ¼ cup stone ground [url href=”http://www.waysideinn.com/” target=”_blank”]Wayside Inn[/url] grist corn meal
- ¾ cup Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced (or more or less, to taste)
- 1 ¼ cups Mexican cheese blend or Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
- ½ stick (1/4 cup) melted, unsalted butter
- sliced, seeded jalapeno peppers for garnish, if desired
- Combine honey, eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Combine corn meal, flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, jalapeno pepper and cheese in another bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add buttermilk mixture to cornmeal mixture.
- Spray an 8×12” glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour cornbread batter into prepared dish.
- Place a few jalapeno pepper slices on top.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Tent with foil after 15 minutes if necessary to prevent browning.
Jalapeno Cheddar Honey Cornbread is great served for tailgating parties when you’re serving Deer Chili!
Every bite is yum, yum good!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon