Gluten Free Living – 2015
Chili Pie with Cheddar Cornbread Crust is a succulent and finger lickin’ recipe you’ll love! I love chili and cornbread and when you put it together in casserole form it’s even better! Plus, I went one better and made this one gluten free. This main dish consists of seasoned ground beef, cannellini beans, corn, diced tomatoes and green chilies covered with cheddar cheese and then a homemade green chilies and cheese cornbread spread on top. Serve with cilantro, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and extra cheese, if desired. All in all this is one fantastic meal!
I began pouring through Pinterest recipes looking for an entree I could make that could easily be made gluten free. I found this recipe and ended up making it very close to the original except I used gluten free flour instead. I made up two batches of the recipe. One for friends and one for us. All of us thoroughly enjoyed this recipe. While I made a gluten free version of this tasty Chili Pie, you don’t have to if you’re not concerned with gluten or wheat flour.
A couple of weeks ago, one of the gals in our Sunday school class had her teenage son undergo leg surgery. I offered to bring a meal for them, but since Debra has Celiac Disease I knew I needed to make everything gluten free. So I made a gluten free Dump Cake, a lovely salad with homemade dressing and this spicy Tex-Mex entree. Debra sent me a text afterward saying how much they loved everything! They ate the leftovers down to the last drop. 🙂
Chili and cornbread is great comfort food. It’s just as great in casserole form! I highly recommend you give this recipe a try–especially if you’re tired of leftover turkey! 🙂 It’s just what the doctor ordered.
Chili Pie with Cheddar Cornbread Crust is a sumptuous Tex-Mex treat your family will love.
Every bite of Chili Pie is amazing.
While I made this gluten free, if you don’t have gluten intolerance you can use regular flour when making the cornbread.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Saute onions in olive oil in skillet over medium heat until softened. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add garlic and saute a couple of minutes longer. Remove two-thirds of the mixture to a separate bowl.
To remaining one-third of the onion mixture add the diced green chilies and heat through. Remove mixture to another bowl and set aside.
Fry beef in same skillet until no longer pink. If necessary, drain any grease. Add onion mixture (NOT onion/chile mixture), chili powder and the remaining seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and water.
Stir to combine and heat through.
Add undrained tomatoes, drained corn, and rinsed and drained cannellini beans. Stir to combine.
Grease a 9×13″ glass baking dish. Spread meat mixture into prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle two cups of shredded cheese over top of the beef mixture.
I used these ingredients for the cornbread mixture, plus the remaining one cup cheese.
Place gluten free flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir ingredients well to combine.
Combine eggs, melted butter, sour cream and milk and whisk until smooth.
Add liquid mixture to cornmeal mixture and stir to combine.
Add remaining diced green chili mixture and shredded cheese and stir to combine.
Spread cornbread mixture over top of beef mixture. Sprinkle with chili powder.
Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cornbread mixture comes out clean.
I actually made two of these entrees. One for us and one for friends.
Here’s the recipe.
CHILI PIE WITH CHEDDAR CORNBREAD CRUST
(Recipe adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-oz. can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. chili powder, plus more for sprinkling over top of the casserole
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup water
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 16-oz. can corn, drained
- 3 cups (12-oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup stone-ground corn meal
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in olive oil until softened.
- Add garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove two-thirds of the mixture and set aside for later use.
- To remaining onions in skillet add undrained green chilies and sauté a few minutes.
- Remove mixture to a separate bowl.
- To same skillet (without cleaning it out), sauté beef, cutting it into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- When no pink remains in beef, drain grease if necessary.
- Add onion mixture, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, red pepper flakes and water and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add undrained tomatoes, beans and corn.
- Heat through.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease a 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Pour beef mixture into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle two cups cheese over top of beef mixture.
- Combine gluten free flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk or cream, butter and sour cream.
- Combine egg mixture with corn meal mixture, reserved green chilies mixture and remaining cup of cheese.
- Spread over top of beef mixture covering to edges of casserole.
- Sprinkle with additional chili powder.
- Bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and the cornbread is thoroughly cooked.
- Allow casserole to rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish individual servings with sour cream, additional cheddar cheese and cilantro, as desired.
The southwestern flavors of corn, chilies, beans and taco-type seasonings makes this one scrumptious dish.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B00LV666I2,B01LF4Y20I,B005FQ291C’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’34a3edb5-22db-11e7-bd2e-4704999c5609′]