Gluten Free Living – 2016
Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is awesome. This gluten free soup is made with leftover turkey and homemade turkey broth, black rice, all kinds of veggies, heavy whipping cream, and lots of delicious herbs and seasonings. I made up a batch of this soup after Christmas when I was trying to use up some leftover turkey, turkey broth, carrots and green beans. All I can say is it turned out fantastic.
While I’ve titled the soup “wild rice,” I actually used Korean black rice to make the soup since I had it on hand and wanted to use it up. Either will work fine. I also made this gluten free by using a gluten free flour to thicken the soup, instead of regular flour. I added peas, celery, leeks, garlic, onions and mushrooms. For the seasonings, I included marjoram, one of my favorite herbs for soups and casseroles, thyme, poultry seasoning, parsley and chives.
This soup served two purposes: first I was able to use up a lot of holiday leftovers without them going to waste, but I also ended up giving this soup along with some bread and cookies as a meal to friends who needed a meal. That’s always a double blessing. This is one incredibly delicious soup. The seasonings cause this soup to explode with a very satisfying and comforting flavor. On top of that, Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is very hearty and a wonderful soup to make on cold, winter nights when you want something to brighten your day.
If you enjoy soups as your comfort food of choice, give Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup a try. It’s gluten free and made with primarily healthy, clean-eating ingredients. If you don’t have turkey on hand, feel free to make this with chicken, too. The ease of making this in the crockpot is such a plus. Go ahead and take the plunge. Give this soup and try and see how many of your family members come back for seconds. 🙂
Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is incredibly delectable.
This is a great soup to serve company because it makes a lot.
Making up a batch of Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is a great way to use up leftovers!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. I had some Korean black rice that I used, but any kind of wild rice will work. If you have time to soak the rice in water at least an hour, that will allow the rice to plump out and taste a lot better.
I used leftover turkey from Christmas, leftover turkey broth, leftover Old-Fashioned Green Beans and leftover Honey Glazed Carrots that I had rinsed all the glaze from. Obviously, you can use all fresh veggies, or leftovers. Both work wonderfully in this recipe.
Pour turkey broth into crockpot.
Add peas, carrots, turkey, onions, leeks, celery, garlic and green beans.
Add mushrooms, rice, and seasonings.
Stir ingredients to combine. Place lid on slow cooker. Cook on low about 5 hours or 2-3 hours on high.
Add heavy whipping cream.
Combine gluten free flour with water and whisk to combine.
Add flour mixture to crockpot and stir to combine.
Garnish with fresh thyme and chives, if desired.
This soup is rich and thick and wonderfully tasty.
Serve individual servings of Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup with your favorite bread.
Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is gluten free and chocked full of veggies and seasonings.
Here’s the recipe.
SLOW COOKER TURKEY AND WILD RICE SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 1 quart turkey broth
- 1 quart turkey giblet broth
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 leek, green top removed, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced, include leaves if in good shape
- 1 cup green beans, cut in one-two inch pieces
- 2 cups crinkle-cut carrots
- 1 cup green peas
- 4 cups diced turkey
- 2 4-oz. cans sliced mushrooms, drained, or 8-oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup black rice or wild rice
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- ¾ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1 tbsp. chives
- 1 tsp. minced garlic from a jar or 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Pamela’s gluten free baking and pancake mix
- Place turkey and giblet broth in a large 6-7-quart crockpot.
- Add onion, leek, celery plus leaves, green beans, carrots, peas, turkey, mushrooms, black rice, garlic and seasonings and cook on low about 5 hours or 2-3 hours on high.
- Check with fork to see if veggies are fork tender and rice is cooked through.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Combine gluten free flour in a bowl with enough water to make a thin paste.
- Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Add flour paste into crockpot to thicken soup.
- Heat through about 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley, fresh thyme or marjoram, and/or chives.
Every bite of Slow Cooker Turkey and Wild Rice Soup will have you salivating.
I loved the ease of making this delicious soup in the crockpot!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B004P2NG0K,B01FLGIF9U,B016OP6N82′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’cc9df445-2249-11e7-83da-097b0a2e67bd’]