Gluten Free Living – 2016
I have a wonderful soup for you today! Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup is a healthy, low calorie, gluten free recipe made with Aidell’s Chicken and Apple Sausage, lots of fresh veggies, several herbs and chicken broth which gives it a wonderfully good base.
I wanted something on the healthier side, but also one I could throw into the crockpot! I have gotten to the point where I make almost all of my soups in the crockpot these days, because I can fix it earlier in the day, be out for a few hours (looking over our new house still under construction), and then come back and attend the last few details before serving. It’s a great way to prepare dinner.
I purchased this large bag of pre-cut kale at the grocery store last month because I wanted to remake a soup recipe I hadn’t had in awhile. I never dreamed I would have so much leftover kale! I’ve used it in several salads but still had so much left over that I decided to whip up a soup with stuff I had in the refrigerator I needed to use up.
I buy lots of fresh veggies all the time so that’s not hard to do. I love adding leeks to soup and casseroles because they provide such delicate and wonderful flavor. I used zeema tomatoes (which are slightly sweet), roma tomatoes and fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies to provide a little pop. Then, I added marjoram and thyme which provide a savory essence. These herbs are great stirred into stir-fries, casseroles, soups and even main dishes or breakfast casseroles.
I enjoy making soups because they usually make a pretty decent amount–enough for us and to take some to others who are in need of a meal. Along with a loaf of home-baked bread from the breadmaker and cookies or brownies, it’s a real easy meal to make for others (or ourselves). The convenience and ease of the slow cooker and the breadmaker is an unbeatable combination in my opinion.
If you’re looking for a delicious soup recipe but want a healthier option than many recipes loaded down with cream (my favorites) or canned soups, give this slow cooker Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup recipe a try. It’s a great soup for what ails you, and uses chicken sausage instead of pork for those who can’t eat pork or want a lighter, less caloric meat to eat. Besides all that, it’s just plain tasty. 🙂
Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup is absolutely delicious!
Try this healthier option with chicken sausage and lots of fresh veggies.
Every bite of Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup will have you coming back for more!
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Empty chicken broth into a crockpot.
Add sausage, roma tomatoes, zeema tomatoes, leeks, onions, garlic, bell peppers, red potatoes, celery and carrots.
Stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook on low heat about 3-4 hours or until veggies are tender.
Add beans, fire-roasted tomatoes and kale.
Cover with lid again and heat through about 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
This soup is chocked full of three kinds of tomatoes and has such a wonderful taste.
Serve Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup garnished with fresh parsley, if desired.
Here’s the recipe.
SAUSAGE, KALE AND BEAN SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 12-oz. pkg. [url href=”http://www.aidells.com/” target=”_blank”]Aidells[/url]Chicken and Apple Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 48-oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 8-oz. Zeema sweet orange grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp. minced garlic from a jar or 3-4 cloves, minced
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 rib celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 8-oz. carrot chips
- 1 leek, green top removed, sliced
- 6 large green onions, sliced
- 2 15.5-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5-oz. cans Muir Glen Organic fire roasted diced tomatoes with medium green chilies
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- Pour chicken broth into a large crockpot.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, Zeema tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, bell peppers, celery, carrots, leeks, onions and seasonings.
- Cook on low heat about 3-4 hours or until veggies are tender.
- Add beans, tomatoes and kale and cook an additional 30 minutes until kale is cooked and veggies are heated through.
Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup is gluten free.
I served this soup with Seven Grain Bread.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $34.95Was: $49.99