Gluten Free Living – 2016
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup is succulent and delicious. A couple of weeks ago I was craving a soup made with rich, homemade chicken and broth. I love cooking off whole chickens in my crockpot because they yield incredibly good homemade broth (rather than just cooking chicken breasts alone).
The dark meat makes the richest, tastiest broth in my opinion. I knew I wanted to use sweet potatoes and lots of veggies and fresh herbs. At the time, instead of using a lot of fresh veggies (like I usually do), I decided to purchase some frozen veggie blends at the store instead. I used a regular mixed vegetable packet and one featuring sugar snap peas. I loved the combination of veggies and the fresh and dried herbs gave just the right boost of flavor.
I cooked off the chicken the day before I wanted to make this recipe. If you’ve never deboned a chicken before, plan to do so while the meat is still warm (not scalding, but certainly not refrigerated). You can refrigerate it, but it is much more difficult to see and remove all the tendons, gristle, fats, and other junk on the chicken when it’s cold.
I deboned the chicken and saved all the broth. To make the broth, I keep it really simple: just salt and pepper generously the water you fill your crockpot and chicken with. As the fat is rendered it makes a rich, tasty broth that you can use in all kinds of recipes. I like to cook noodles in chicken broth because it increases the flavor.
The next day, I added the deboned chicken and broth to the crockpot. Then I added the sweet potatoes, onion, celery, leeks, garlic and seasonings. After that cooked until the sweet potatoes were tender, I added the frozen veggies and allowed them to cook through – probably not any longer than an hour. I served it with a batch of Honey Buttermilk Cornbread which was a heavenly combination.
Making soups in the slow cooker is wonderful. It’s so much easier for me. Especially if I know I’m going to be out of the house for several hours. I put the first batch of stuff in the crockpot on low, and then add the other stuff later when I get home and can watch it a little more closely. Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and a clean eating recipe you and your family will absolutely adore. I hope you give it a try soon.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup is heavenly comfort food.
I love the ease of making this recipe in the slow cooker.
I served Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup with Honey Buttermilk Cornbread.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Cook off a whole chicken. Debone and add chicken and broth to a crockpot.
Add onions, leeks, celery, garlic and sweet potatoes.
Cover with lid and cook crockpot on low between 4-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
Add frozen veggies and cook on low an additional 45-60 minutes until veggies are cooked through.
Once veggies are fork tender, the soup is done.
Chicken and sweet potatoes makes a delectable combination in soup.
Serve Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup garnished with additional rosemary or thyme, as desired.
Serve with crackers or cornbread, as desired.
Here’s the recipe.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
(My own creation)
- 1 whole chicken, cooked and deboned (Yielding about 4 cups chicken meat and 2 quarts chicken broth)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 2 ribs celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 leek, green top removed, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. minced garlic from a jar or about 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Pink Himalayan sea salt
- ¾ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram (or one tablespoon fresh)
- 2 large sage leaves, minced (or ½ tsp. dried)
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp. dried)
- ½ to 1 tbsp. fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 16-oz. bag frozen sugar snap pea vegetable blend
- 12-oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
- Cook off chicken.
- I usually place a whole chicken in a 7-qt. crockpot. Fill to about one inch of the top. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low overnight or on high about 4-6 hours.
- Cool. Debone while still warm.
- Reserve broth.
- Place broth and chicken in large crockpot.
- Add sweet potatoes, celery, leeks, onions, garlic and seasonings.
- Cook on low about 4-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook through an additional 45 minutes to an hour or until snap peas are tender.
This soup is healthy, low calorie and gluten free.
Every bite of Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup is amazing.
If you enjoy clean eating recipes, than give Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup a try!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B004P2NG0K,B008BV26I4,B004FNU0MQ’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’b665c52a-2245-11e7-bd9b-e12266dd6405′]