Gluten Free Living – 2016
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili is one of my new faves. I think what I enjoy the best about this soup is the kick it gets from a mere tablespoon of chipotles in Adobo sauce. Butternut squash, black beans, bell peppers, tomatoes and garlic are seasoned with cinnamon, cumin and chili powder for a lovely sweet yet spicy punch that’s incredibly good.
The first time I ate this delicious chili, a friend made it for lunch. We try to get together a couple of times a month and share healthy recipes and then walk around the perimeter of her office for exercise. She is on a strict diet with no gluten, no sugar, and no dairy.
She has issues with mitochondrial myopathy so when she stays off these ingredients, she doesn’t suffer from as much pain. She found this vegan recipe online and shared it with me. I loved the taste of this soup and decided to make it immediately! While I made a few changes to the original recipe, the chili turned out incredibly tasty and one I plan to make often.
My friend made this recipe for Super Bowl Sunday and it was a hit there. Then I shared a batch with some friends who had just brought their young toddler home from the hospital. It’s been well received whenever either of us have made it.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili is one of the best vegan, gluten free, healthy, low calorie chili recipes I’ve ever eaten. It’s also incredibly easy since everything is thrown into the crockpot. If you’re looking for a spectacular chili recipe, but want a meatless version, you need to give this delicious chili a try.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili is a delicious vegan chili that’s extraordinarily good.
Every bite of Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili is amazing.
This chili is so easy because it’s made in the slow cooker.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Pour vegetable broth into a crockpot.
Add butternut squash, bell peppers and red onion.
Add tomatoes, garlic, seasonings, bay leaf and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Stir ingredients to combine. Cover with lid and cook on low about 2 hours until veggies are tender.
Stir in black beans.
Add cilantro and heat through.
Garnish chili with fresh cilantro if desired.
Garnish soup with fresh avocado, cilantro, a sprinkle of hot sauce and tortilla strips, if desired.
A squeeze of lime is also good in this chili.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili is a healthy alternative to many meat-based chilis.
The broth for this chili has such wonderful Tex-Mex flavor.
Here’s the recipe.
SLOW COOKER BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHIPOTLE CHILI
(Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped (mine was about 5 lbs.)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (eliminate this if cooking in crockpot)
- ¾ tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 + tablespoon La Costena chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (up to 1 tablespoon or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32-oz. Swanson organic vegetable broth
- 2 avocados, sliced or chopped, for garnish
- 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro and additional cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Chef’s Finest Tri-Color tortilla strips, for garnish
- crushed red pepper flakes, Tabasco sauce or Louisiana hot sauce, if desired
- Place onion, peppers, garlic, butternut squash, tomatoes, chipotle pepper, vegetable broth and all the seasonings and herbs in a crockpot.
- Cover with lid and cook about 2 hours on low until veggies are tender.
- Stir in black beans and cook about 30 minutes longer until heated through and chili has thickened.
- Check seasonings, add additional chipotle pepper if you desire more heat.
- Stir in about a tablespoon of chopped, fresh cilantro.
- Heat through.
- Ladle chili into bowls.
- Drizzle with a few drops of hot sauce if you desire more heat in your chili.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with cilantro leaves, tortilla strips and avocado slices.
Give this healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan chili a try for your next party!
Just a touch of chipotle peppers makes this chili superb.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili is a great entree for Meatless Mondays.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!