Gluten Free Living – 2016
Three Bean Chipotle Chili is a delicious chili that’s healthy, clean eating, low calorie and gluten free. It uses three different kinds of beans (but you can use more if you desire). It’s got onions, garlic, bell peppers, leeks, tomatoes and the real kicker–chipotle peppers in adobo sauce! I also added celery which was included in a chili recipe that another friend made. It worked well here, too. We loved this recipe–even my husband, who’s not a big fan of a lot of tomatoes in chili, but he really enjoyed this version.
This lovely Three Bean Chipotle Chili started out as my attempt to copycat a recipe from a friend’s chili concoction that she through together on the spur of the moment. She told me the basic ingredients, I improvised adding a few additional ingredients and then at the last moment I remembered I had some chipotle peppers in the refrigerator that needed to be used up.
Voila! It added just enough kick to spice up this chili, but not enough to overwhelm it so that you have to down a glass of water at the same time! 🙂 I only used one teaspoon, and believe me that’s enough. Unless you really prefer hot chili, I would not increase that amount.
Back in April I got together with a friend for lunch. We usually each bring something and she provided a couple of small servings of this chili. I loved it. Because she didn’t write anything down, I was set on making my own version. The nice thing with chili is that it’s one of those kinds of recipes that you can ad lib a lot and the recipe still won’t fail. While I used dark red kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans, other beans like cannelloni, red, butter, navy, Great Northern and even lima beans can be used with great success.
If you’re looking for a tasty chili recipe that’s healthy and more of a clean-eating recipe, give Three Bean Chipotle Chili a whirl. I also recommend this chili as a great one for tailgating parties during the fall or winter months. But be prepared to not have as many leftovers for lunch the next day as you would like. 😉
Three Bean Chipotle Chili is a fabulous recipe for tailgating parties!
This chili is delicious served without a lot of toppings.
But garnish it with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, and cilantro if desired.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients, plus chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
In a large Dutch oven, brown 96% lean ground beef. You won’t have much grease to drain.
Add bell peppers, leeks, celery, onions and garlic. Stir to combine and saute about 5 minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes and diced tomatoes with green chilies, all UNDRAINED.
Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, parsley and oregano.
Now I decided to add a teaspoon of chipotle peppers. Stir to combine, cover with lid and heat through on low heat about 30 minutes.
Add rinsed and drained beans. Heat through.
Serve garnished with fresh parsley or shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
Three Bean Chipotle Chili has a lot of delicious flavors.
Serve with a side of Fritos or Cornbread.
If you enjoy chili with lots of beans, this one’s for you!
Here’s the recipe.
THREE BEAN CHIPOTLE CHILI
(My own concoction)
- 2 lbs. 93% or 96% lean ground beef
- 1 leek, green top removed, diced
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-oz. cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 14.5-oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 ½ tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- ¾ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- cheddar cheese, parsley for garnish, as desired
- Brown ground beef in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Drain if there’s a lot of grease.
- Add leeks, onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic.
- Sauté about 5 minutes until veggies are slightly tender.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, petite diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add chipotle peppers, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano and parsley.
- Stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add rinsed and drained black beans, pinto beans and dark red kidney beans.
- Heat through.
- Check seasonings.
- Add more seasonings according to taste.
- Garnish with fresh snipped parsley and cheddar cheese, as desired.
Every bite of Three Bean Chipotle Chili will have your mouth watering.
This healthy, clean-eating chili recipe is a keeper!
Let this bowl of chili heat you up on cool winter nights!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B014Z248HY,B00MZI4TAM,B00007IT35′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8c522ed8-2200-11e7-ae16-7f9d9e4e7d59′]