Gluten Free Living – 2016
Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy is the BEST Salisbury Steak recipe I’ve ever made. Seriously, this entree was so sumptuous that I can say unequivocally, it is absolutely my favorite way to make Salisbury Steak. Wonderfully flavored beef patties are cooked in a tasty gravy with mushrooms, onions, leeks and garlic. Then the dish is seasoned with Worcestershire sauce and Kitchen Bouquet browning and seasoning sauce and Montreal Steak Seasoning. The combination was spectacular to say the least. I also used 4C gluten free Italian style breadcrumbs so I could make this a gluten free entree.
I’m a beef lover. I know that’s not politically correct but I love beef. Given a choice, I will choose steak over chicken any day. I was really hungry for beef a few weeks ago, but it’s been a long time (probably 30 years or more) since I’ve made Salisbury Steak. We ate it a lot when we were first married. Yes, with chagrin I admit we used to eat the Banquet cooking bag patties and gravy over instant mashed potatoes all the time when we were first married. We couldn’t afford anything else.
I never grew up eating Salisbury Steak. My mom used to make more of a country-fried steak and gravy using tenderized round steak. But it wasn’t slow simmered or baked like this one so it was certainly tougher than Salisbury Steak. Plus, this recipe is made with ground beef – almost like miniature meatloaf patties – that are incredibly tasty in their own right. Add the onions, leeks, mushrooms and garlic and saucy gravy and wow, this Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy turns into the most delicious way to eat beef imaginable–other than actually grilling steaks or making Prime Rib, that is! 🙂
If you’re looking for a terrific recipe that your family and friends will certainly love, you’ve got to make up Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms and Onions. Whether you serve it over mashed potatoes like I did, or over noodles or rice, it’s a fantastic recipe that you’ve got to taste to believe.
Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy is the so savory and delectable. It’s a great entree for company.
Salisbury Beef patties are seasoned to perfection then drenched in a wonderful Mushroom Onion Gravy.
We serve Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy over top of mashed potatoes. You can also serve it over noodles or rice, if desired.
Every bite of this entree is succulent and amazing.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the Salisbury Steak patties. I was trying to make this recipe as healthy as possible so I used an organic non-HFCS ketchup, gluten free bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce without gluten.
Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Mix ingredients with your hands until very well mixed.
Place oil in a skillet. Shape ground beef mixture into patties and brown patties about 1-2 minutes per side. I used two skillets and divvied up the beef patties among each one.
Turn patties over and cook other side. Patties will not be cooked all the way through.
Spray a 10×15″ glass baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Add beef patties. Set aside.
I used these ingredients for the savory Mushroom Onion Gravy.
Add additional olive oil to the skillets. In one of the skillets add onions and cook about 8-10 minutes but not caramelized.
To the other skillet add garlic and leeks.
Add mushrooms. Saute an additional 5-10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Add salt, pepper, Montreal Steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce.
Combine leek and mushroom mixture with sauteed onions. Add gluten free flour and stir to combine.
Add beef broth.
Add Kitchen Bouquet browning and seasoning sauce. Continue cooking a few minutes until gravy thickens.
Pour gravy mixture over top of beef patties in baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and beef patties are thoroughly cooked.
Serve Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy with fresh parsley.
Spoon patties over top of mashed potatoes and serve. I served with peas and fresh fruit.
I reheated this the next day and the leftovers were just as wonderful.
Here’s the recipe.
SMOTHERED SALISBURY STEAK WITH MUSHROOM ONION GRAVY
(My own concoction)
- [b]FOR THE SALISBURY STEAK PATTIES:[/b][br]
- 2 lbs. 93% or 96% lean ground beef or ground sirloin
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup [url href=”http://www.4cstore.com/category/gluten-free-crumbs” target=”_blank”]4C Gluten Free Italian bread crumbs[/url]
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. marjoram
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp.[url href=”http://www.mccormick.com/Grill-Mates/Flavors/Seasoning-Blends/Grill-Mates-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning” target=”_blank”]Montreal steak seasoning[/url]
- butter or olive oil for frying[br]
- [b]FOR THE MUSHROOM ONION GRAVY:[/b][br]
- 8-oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 large white onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 leeks, green top removed, diced or sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 32-oz. beef stock
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. [url href=”http://www.mccormick.com/Grill-Mates/Flavors/Seasoning-Blends/Grill-Mates-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning” target=”_blank”]Montreal steak seasoning[/url]
- ½ tsp. salt & ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. [url href=”https://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/kitchen-bouquet-browning-seasoning-sauce/at-a-glance/” target=”_blank”]Kitchen Bouquet[/url] seasoning
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Combine ingredients.
- Form into 8 large oblong thin patties.
- In a large 12” skillet brown patties over medium-high heat about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Patties will not be cooked all the way through.
- Remove patties to a greased 9×13” or 10×15” glass baking dish.
- Allow steaks to rest while making gravy.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour gravy over top of steaks heaping mushrooms, leeks and onions over top of each steak.
- Bake at 350° for about 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, cooked noodles or rice, as desired. [br]
- After removing browned patties to the baking dish, add ¼ cup butter or olive oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium or low-medium.
- With a wooden spoon, scrape any bits of beef into the oil.
- Add onions and cook about 8-10 minutes until they brown slightly but not caramelize.
- Add garlic, leeks and mushrooms and sauté an additional 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in flour, Worcestershire sauce, Montreal Steak Seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Begin adding beef stock slowly until worked into the gravy.
- Continue cooking a few minutes until gravy thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour gravy over top of Salisbury Steak patties being sure to heap the mushrooms, leeks and onions over top.
- There should be enough to almost submerge the steak patties.
- Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving over mashed potatoes.
Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy is fabulous comfort food. I made this recipe gluten free so that those with gluten intolerance can also enjoy it.
If you enjoy savory beef recipes, this one is one of the best I’ve ever eaten.
Doesn’t Smothered Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy look terrific?
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!