Cherry Almond Bars are gooey, fruit bars that are festive and beautiful for any occasion. While these make a great treat for the holidays, certainly you can make them anytime of the year. These blondies have a shortbread crust topped with cherry preserves and lots of sliced almonds. This is a splendid dessert for company. If you’re a cherry lover these bar-type cookies are an absolute delight.
A few months ago I made up a salad that used cherry preserves in the salad dressing. I had those cherry preserves in the refrigerator so I was wondering what I could do to use them up. When I remade a batch of Apricot Almond Bars a few weeks ago, I realized that the same basic recipe would work well for cherries too. So I gave it a whirl. Yes, it was wonderful. Cherries and almonds always work well together.
Cherry Almond Bars are very gooey so I recommend freezing or refrigerating the bars before cutting. If you’re looking for a dream dessert for company, then this recipe needs to be on your list. Every bite will have you drooling. 🙂
Cherry Almond Bars are festive treats that are especially terrific for the holidays.
If you enjoy cherries, you’ll love these fruit-filled bars.
Cherry Almond Bars are a great dessert for any occasion.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Soften butter. I usually microwave it so that it’s half-way between softened and melted. That makes it easier to work into the crust dough. Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add powdered sugar.
Stir ingredients to combine.
Grease a 9×13″ glass baking dish. Press crust ingredients firmly into prepared dish.
Place in a 350 oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile, as crust is baking prepare filling. Place sugar, egg, cherry preserves, vanilla and a tablespoon of butter into mixing bowl.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Pour cherry filling into pre-baked crust.
Top with almonds.
Bake at 350 an additional 15-20 minutes until set.
Almonds make these bars nice and crunchy.
If you take a tray of Cherry Almond Bars to your office, they will be gobbled down immediately.
Here’s the recipe.
CHERRY ALMOND BARS
(Recipe inspired from my Apricot Almond Bars)
- 1 ½ cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened or melted[br]
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 8-10-oz. [url href=”http://www.smuckers.com/products/fruit-spreads/preserves/cherry-preserves” target=”_blank”]Smucker’s[/url] cherry preserves
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened or melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¾ to 1 cup sliced [url href=”https://fishernuts.com/” target=”_blank”]Fisher[/url] almonds
- In a mixing bowl, stir flour, sugar and butter.
- Spread into the bottom and ½ inch up the sides of a 9×13” glass baking dish that has been sprayed well with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° oven for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For topping, beat egg, sugar, preserves, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Spread evenly over hot crust.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
Every bite of Cherry Almond Bars will have you drooling.
We love these scrumptious bars and think you will too.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
[amazon_link asins=’B005FQ291C,B009LMOYZU,B0015QV5S4′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cantstayoutof-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’81970f9b-213a-11e7-b268-8b2a1f07032b’]