Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup
This sumptuous Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Soup is perfect comfort food on bleary, cold winter days. It's filled with apples, leeks, sweet potatoes, butternut squash & fresh ginger & lightly seasoned with cinnamon. Healthy, low calorie, clean eating, gluten free & vegan.
1 large Dutch oven with lid or stock pot with lid
1 wooden spoon
1 vegetable peeler
1 sharp knife to pare butternut squash
1 sharp knife to cut vegetables
1 immersion blender preferred, or regular blender
- 2 large butternut squashes (2 ½ to 3 lbs. each), peeled and cut in ½-inch chunks
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut in ½-inch chunks
- 4 medium gala apples cored, diced (unpeeled) (or 6 small apples)
- 1 leek green top removed, washed thoroughly and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated (or more to taste)
- 32 oz. ctn. vegetable broth or more if desired
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon as desired
- 1 tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds for garnish, if desired
- 1 tsp. cinnamon for garnish, if desired
Pour vegetable broth into a large Dutch oven or stock pot.
Add butternut squash, sweet potatoes, apples, leeks, garlic, onion, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
Cover with lid and bring veggies to a simmer.
Cook over low to medium heat until sweet potatoes are tender about 30 minutes.
With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth.
If desired, add additional broth to thin the soup.
Ladle soup into bowls.
Garnish with pumpkin seeds and cinnamon, if desired.
NOTE: Speed up preparation time by using pre-cut butternut squash, sweet potatoes and diced onions from the grocery store. (This will cut your preparation time down to about 10 minutes).
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Calories: 139kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 3gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0.2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.2gTrans Fat: 0.001gSodium: 170mgPotassium: 642mgFiber: 6gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 18417IUVitamin C: 28mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 1mg