Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet
This amazing Tex-Mex entree is a one-dish skillet meal with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, pinto beans and cheese. It's topped with sour cream, tomatoes, olives, cilantro and avocados. Serve with guacamole, salsa or pico de gallo. Gluten free.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 lb. 93% or 96% lean ground beef
- 1 batch Homemade Taco Seasoning (or 1 packet Taco seasoning)
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 15 oz. can fire roasted corn kernels drained (or regular corn kernels, drained)
- 15 oz. can pinto beans rinsed and drained (or black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 3/4 cup basmati rice uncooked (or long grain rice)
- 2-3 cups beef broth
- sour cream
- avocado sliced or chopped
- grape tomatoes halved lengthwise
- ripe olives sliced
- Pico de Gallo if desired
- salsa if desired
- fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, divided use
- fresh guacamole if desired
Cook the onion and beef in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.
Drain any fat (but there won’t be much if you use 96% lean beef).
Add taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, corn, beans, rice and beef broth.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese over top.
Cover with lid and cook over low heat for about 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Remove from heat and serve with Taco Toppings.
Chop or slice up veggies as desired. Set aside.
Place 1 1/2 cups cheese on top of skillet and cook, covered with lid, as directed above (about 3 minutes).
Dollop sour cream over top of melted cheese.
Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro, tomatoes, olives, avocados and cheese, as desired.
Serve with pico de gallo, guacamole or salsa, as desired.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Calories: 425kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 27gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1163mgPotassium: 596mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 800IUVitamin C: 14.9mgCalcium: 270mgIron: 3.6mg