Blarney Stones are super good. They’re filled with butterscotch chips, pecans, almond extract and pistachio pudding mix. All of these ingredients provide simply spectacular flavors to these cookies. Plus all the green food coloring makes them look like “Blarney Stones!” These soft cookies are some of our family’s favorites. I have made them several times for our Christmas Cookie Extravaganza.
Blarney Stones are not only terrific to the taste buds, they’re also very easy to put together. They’re a great tasting cookie for kid’s parties, potlucks, St. Patrick’s Day, holiday baking and any family get together. Blarney Stones are so good and have such wonderful flavor that you should consider adding them to your regular cookie collection. I also recommend them highly for your holiday baking collection.
Our family have enjoyed Blarney Stones from the very first bite. I think you will find them just as delightful as we do. There’s no blarney about these cookies. They’re the real deal!
When I first posted Blarney Stones back in June 2012 I was very dissatisfied with the pictures. So I recently remade the recipe (January 2015) and updated the pictures. Hopefully, they are a little clearer and not quite so grainy this time around. Enjoy the Luck of the Irish with these fantastic cookies! 🙂
Blarney Stones are wonderful cookies for the holiday season.
Here’s a close up view so you can see the texture.
I’ve been making Blarney Stones for years around Christmas time. They’re absolutely delightful.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Soften butter and put in a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, almond extract, pistachio pudding mix, green food coloring, baking soda and vanilla. I add all leavening ingredients at this stage of mixing so they will mix thoroughly with the batter.
Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens cookies and cakes. Add butterscotch chips and chopped pecans.
Stir all together with a wooden spoon.
Roll the dough into balls and place on cookie sheets sprayed with cookie spray.
Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until cookies test done. You will need more green food coloring than the recipe states to make the cookies this pretty green color.
Blarney Stones are great cookies to serve at tailgating parties.
These cookies will have you drooling from the first bite!
Blarney Stones are marvelous for St. Patrick’s Day parties or Christmas Cookie Exchanges.
Here’s the recipe.
(Adapted slightly from Taste of Home Annual Recipes 1994)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp.[url href=”http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Extracts-and-Food-Colors/Extracts/Pure-Vanilla-Extract” target=”_blank” title=”mccormick pure vanilla extract”] McCormick’s[/url] pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp [url href=”http://www.adamsextract.com/” target=”_blank” title=”adams extracts”]Adam’s [/url]almond extract
- 1 pkg. (3.4-oz.) [url href=”http://www.jello.com/” target=”_blank” title=”jello “]Jello[/url] instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. Green food coloring gel or more as desired
- 2 ½ cups [url href=”http://www.goldmedalflour.com/” target=”_blank” title=”gold medal unbleached flour”]Gold Medal[/url] UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 12-oz. pkg. [url href=”http://www.nestleusa.com/” target=”_blank” title=”nestle’s butterscotch chips”]Nestle’s[/url] butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped [url href=”http://www.fishernuts.com/” target=”_blank” title=”fisher nuts”]Fisher[/url] walnuts, pecans or pistachio nuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars, extracts, pistachio pudding mix, eggs, green food coloring and baking soda.
- Stir in flour, butterscotch chips and pistachio nuts or walnuts (batter will be stiff).
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- Shape into 1 ½-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheets to wire racks; cool.
If you love butterscotch, you’ll love Blarney Stones. There’s no blarney about these cookies! They’re the real deal.
Blarney Stones are so good you’ll just have to have more than one!
These cookies will cure any sweet tooth craving.
It’s time to sit down with a glass of milk and enjoy. 🙂