Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup
Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup is absolutely delectable. Are you looking for a hearty, delicious soup for cool fall nights? This healthy, low calorie, vegan, and gluten free option is fabulous. The tastes of tomatoes, kale, cannellini beans, and carrots come together in such a delicious way. Your family will love this economical soup. It’s a great way to add veggies into your diet, too.
Plus, kale is one of those superfoods that is recognized for its inflammatory properties, its benefits for reducing cholesterol and cancers, and for detoxing the body. Kale is one of those veggies that you should take every opportunity to add to your diet.
It’s great mixed in salads with other lettuces, and here it complements this delicious soup. I found this recipe at WholeFoodsMarket.com and it is a winner! As I continue to explore healthy food options, this vegan recipe has 9 grams of protein and 284 calories per serving. If you don’t load it up with lots of cheese or crackers it’s very healthy and low in calories which will help with any weight loss program.
I’ve adapted the recipe by adding seasonings and making a few other changes, but I think you will like the results.
When I initially posted this recipe in October 2012, I was still using an iPhone for a camera so my pictures were not as sharp as I would have liked. As a result, I’ve been remaking all those first-year blog recipes so I can retake the pictures so they’re more appealing. I recently remade this recipe (January 2016) for a family who needed a meal. This time I added fresh thyme and I really enjoyed the results. I think you will too.
Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup is hearty and filling.
This satisfying soup is filled with carrots, tomatoes, kale and white beans. It’s not only delicious, it’s also healthy and low calorie and great for what ails you. 🙂
Every bite of Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup is amazing.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients plus fresh thyme.
Add oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté. Instead of adding a few garlic cloves, I added minced garlic from a jar.
Partially cook carrots by microwaving about 5 minutes. Add carrots, beans, parsley, tomatoes, pepper and vegetable broth. (I added the beans here, but you can add them last if you desire).
Simmer covered about 15-20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender. I added fresh thyme.
Add kale. Stir all the ingredients together. Check seasonings.
Cook kale about 5 minutes until tender.
Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup is chocked full of veggies.
Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup is not only vegan, it’s gluten free.
This hearty soup is not only tasty but economical.
Here’s the recipe.
VEGAN TUSCAN KALE AND WHITE BEAN SOUP
(Recipe adapted from WholeFoodsMarket.com)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic from a jar or two-three cloves, minced
- 1 box (32 ounces) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups packed chopped kale
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 8-oz. carrot chips, or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ to 1 tsp. fresh thyme, or as desired
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, tomatoes, carrots, pepper, thyme and Italian parsley, and cover.
- Cook 15-20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Add kale and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- When carrots are done and other veggies are cooked, add beans and heat thoroughly.
- Serve hot.
Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup has wonderful savory flavors. It’s really very simple, yet big on taste.
If you’re looking for a healthy, low calorie meal, you can’t get much better than a bowl of this tasty soup.
Vegan Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup is great for cool fall nights. Add some bread and you’re good to go!