Fabulous Chef Salad
2013 – Gluten Free Living
Fabulous Chef Salad is one of our favorite salads. This hearty main dish salad has a delicious homemade salad dressing. It also has a whole lot more veggies than most Chef Salads do. I wanted lots of cheese, ham and turkey on this salad, but I also wanted a lot of veggies. So I added quite a few veggies along with hard boiled eggs and a tasty dressing.
This salad is packed with protein since it has three cheeses, two meats, hard boiled eggs, and spinach along with other veggies that contain protein. Besides that, if you’re trying to eliminate gluten or sugar from your diet this recipe is great since the dressing has no sugar or sweeteners.
The salad is my concoction but the dressing is inspired from Columbia Restaurant’s “1905” salad dressing ingredients. We’ve increased the white wine vinegar to give the dressing a little more bite and doubled the ingredients for a salad of this size.
This great salad can serve at least 12 people. Or, if you’re trying to watch your weight, you can have it for several meals. I pat dry the lettuce and other ingredients during the making of the salad because that helps protect it from decomposing too quickly. It will last several days in the refrigerator if you don’t add the dressing to the whole salad. Otherwise, if this amount is too much for your family, cut the recipe in half.
We really like this Fabulous Chef Salad with its zesty salad dressing. I especially like the fact that it doesn’t have sugar, but if you can’t eat dressings unless they are sweet you could add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar to the dressing and make it sweeter. I would recommend cutting your cheese in cubes or julienned rather than using shredded cheese. It provides more texture that way, and the bulkiness provides a cheesier taste.
This is an amazing and tasty salad. Why don’t you give this delicious salad a try soon? It’s a great way to start the New Year for anyone trying to eat healthier and have a lower calorie and gluten free meal. Adding more salads and soups to your diet is a great way to start eating healthier and lose weight. Try it. You’ll like it!
I recently remade this recipe (June 2014) and added some new upgraded pictures so you could view the salad ingredients a little better. My first attempt showed only pictures of the salad in tossed form which weren’t as clear about what was included in the ingredients for this salad. Hopefully, these pictures depict Fabulous Chef Salad a little more true to form and you can see exactly why it’s a “fabulous” Chef Salad!
This Fabulous Chef Salad has a delightful homemade dressing that’s heavenly.
Fabulous Chef Salad has two kinds of meat and three kinds of cheese.
The dressing is pungent rather than sweet. It’s very tasty and easy to make. You can see all the lovely veggies on this plate. Every mouthful has so many different textures.
Here’s what I did.
These are the ingredients I used to make this salad.
Place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Add sliced grape tomatoes and cucumbers.
Add a handful of carrot chips, sliced miniature bell pepper rings, and kalamata olives.
Add mild salad pepper rings, halved hard-boiled eggs, turkey and ham strips, and shredded romano, Swiss, and Provolone cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
These are the ingredients I used to make the salad dressing.
To make salad dressing: Start with olive oil. Add minced garlic from a jar, oregano, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and the juice of 2 lemons. Whisk together.
Here the salad is ready to serve. The dressing has a nice zip to it. We really enjoyed this salad.
So yummy, filling, and satisfying.
Here’s the salad before adding the dressing.
If you enjoy high protein salads, this one sure fits the bill.
Here’s the recipe.
FABULOUS CHEF SALAD
(My own concoction based on the popular salad)
- 12-oz. spring mix
- 1 pkg. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber sliced and cut in fourths
- ¾ cup carrot chips
- ½ to 2/3 cup shredded red cabbage, if desired
- 6-8 slices sliced peppered turkey, or mesquite smoked turkey, cut in thin strips
- 5-6 slices Black Forest ham, cut in ½” x ½” pieces
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup provolone cheese, cubed (I used basil tomato mozzarella cheese, cubed)
- 4-6 small miniature bell peppers, sliced in rings (red, orange and yellow)
- 2/3 cup kalamata olives, patted dry
- ½ cup mild pepper rings, patted dry
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled, cooled, cut in halves or fourths
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- Place spring mix in large salad bowl.
- Layer with tomatoes, red cabbage, carrot chips, cucumbers, miniature bell peppers, olives, mild salad pepper rings.
- Add turkey, ham, provolone cheese, Swiss cheese, and romano cheese.
- Top with hard boiled eggs.
- Toss salad.
- Serve on plates, then add dressing as desired.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. minced garlic from a jar
- 4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Juice of two lemons
- 4 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Mix olive oil, garlic and oregano.
- Whisk together.
- Add salt, pepper, vinegar, lemons and Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk again until well mixed.
- Stir well before serving.
Time to eat and enjoy!
One bite of this delicious salad will have you coming back for more.
Fabulous Chef Salad is a great way to get your protein and your veggies.