Chocolate Banana Streusel Muffins
Chocolate Banana Streusel Muffins are irresistible. Seriously! These lovely muffins have bananas and cinnamon in the batter. Then they’re topped with a streusel made from butter, brown sugar and miniature chocolate chips. When the streusel topping bakes, it turns into a wonderful toffee flavor. That toffee flavor along with the chocolate chips is nothing short of sensational.
A week or so ago I had a dear friend return from a month of bereavement in Arkansas. She was there to help her mom settle her father’s estate. I knew she would be worn out so I offered to bring her a meal. I also thought I would send along some stuff for breakfast the following day. I looked through my cookbook and came across this recipe. I’ve been wanting to try it for ages. I’m really glad I did because this was one super-duper muffin recipe.
I found this amazing recipe on the inside of a Land O’ Lakes Butter container (believe it or not!). I’ve found that Land O Lakes does a fabulous job with their test kitchen. They print some awesome recipes for consumers to use. Their website features some great looking recipes too. I’ve also made their Almond Brickle Coffee Cake. It came from the inside of a butter carton as well. Both recipes have been fantastic.
This is a knock-your-socks-off breakfast muffin recipe. It’s a great recipe to consider for holiday breakfasts, baby showers, or even as a dessert. You and your family will rave over these heavenly muffins. You may even find that your family wants you to make them over and over and over! Hey, making a batch of Chocolate Banana Streusel Muffins is also a great way to use up overripe bananas! Yum, I think it’s time to make another batch. 🙂
Chocolate Banana Streusel Muffins are rich and decadent for a breakfast muffin!
They’re terrific served with hot tea or coffee.
The streusel topping is almost like toffee mixed with chocolate chips once it’s baked.
Here’s what I did.
Place mashed bananas, brown sugar, egg, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
Add softened/melted butter and whisk to combine.
Add UNBLEACHED flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods).
Whisk lightly to combine.
Spray miniature muffin tins with cooking spray. Fill muffin tins about 1/2 to 2/3 full. (These are too full and I ended up taking some of the batter out of each one.
To prepare streusel: Place softened butter, flour and brown sugar in a small mixing bowl. Combine then stir in the chocolate chips.
Stir ingredients to combine well.
Sprinkle streusel topping over top of muffin batter.
Bake muffins about 20-25 minutes at 350, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Chocolate, bananas, cinnamon and toffee flavor permeate the texture and taste of these spectacular muffins. We loved Chocolate Banana Streusel Muffins. The miniature chocolate chips filled these muffins from top to bottom!
I made up a batch of these treats for a friend who was recently bereaved. They’re a wonderful option for breakfast along with fruit.
Here’s the recipe.
CHOCOLATE BANANA STREUSEL MUFFINS
(Recipe adapted from Land O’ Lakes)
- 1/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium (1 cup) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (Bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- Combine brown sugar, butter, bananas, egg, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Add flour and stir gently, just to combine ingredients.
- Spray miniature muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Spoon muffin batter evenly into 24 miniature muffins.
- Spread streusel topping over top.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes at 350°, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool about 5 minutes before removing them from muffin tins.
- ½ cup UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- ½ cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix flour, brown sugar and butter.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle over top of muffin batter in muffin tins.
Here’s a sample of Chocolate Banana Streusel Muffins for you!
The original recipe made these as regular-sized muffins, but I thought they would be nice in a miniature size instead.
Try a batch of these delightful muffins for a holiday breakfast or a country Sunday breakfast.