Chicken Fajita Salad
Gluten Free Living – 2014
Chicken Fajita Salad is awesome. I was really hungry for some kind of a Tex-Mex Salad back in August. I decided to try my hand at a Chicken Fajita Salad. I dredged boneless chicken breasts with some of my Homemade Taco Seasoning, then tossed them on the grill. My salad consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, green onions, black olives, red kidney beans, corn, Monterey Jack cheese, tortilla strips and cilantro. It was totally irresistible.
I combined everything with a scrumptious Bolthouse Farms Salsa Ranch Dressing. Fantastic barely begins to describe how marvelous this salad was.
I love salads now, but it didn’t used to be that way. Not until five years ago when I determined to lose 50 pounds. I’m not sure why I didn’t care for salads all that much. I would eat them every now and then–maybe once every week or two, but that’s about it. I started eating salads regularly about five years ago and I attribute a lot of prayer to getting me over my reluctance beforehand.
I find salads some of my favorite comfort food now. I make salads so frequently that I’m constantly rotating different types through our family meal plans. I serve Tex-Mex Salads, Greek Salads, Marinated Salads, Pasta Salads, Copycat Salads, Fruit Salads, and Tossed Salads with Fruit continuously.
It’s taken about five years but my husband has finally started to enjoy eating fruit in tossed salads. Probably our favorite is Winter Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing or some variation thereof. Once apples and pears come in season in late summer, we eat this salad at least once a week throughout the fall and winter.
Every now and then I have to have a change of pace and that’s when I go to Tex-Mex or Greek Salads primarily. Chicken Fajita Salad hits the spot for both of us because John really likes having meat with his salads. Grilled chicken is a nice change of pace from ground beef, and having it spiced up fajita style is really special. The nice thing about this salad is it’s healthy, low calorie and gluten free.
If you’re looking for a fabulous salad to serve your family or for company, Chicken Fajita Salad is as good as it gets! This salad is great with a Salsa Ranch Dressing like I used or a Honey-Chipotle dressing with a little zip. But Ranch or Catalina dressings will work fine, too. Give Chicken Fajita Salad a try. You will savor every delicious bite.
Chicken Fajita Salad is marvelous. The Bolthouse Farms Salsa Ranch Dressing topped off this salad so delightfully.
We really enjoyed Chicken Fajita Salad. It disappeared very quickly!
This luscious salad had lots of crunch from all the raw veggies and tortilla chips.
Here’s what I did.
Place lettuce in a large salad bowl.
Add tomatoes, cucumber, corn, kidney beans, yellow or orange bell pepper, green onions, black olives, Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make up a batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning (which is gluten free). You can also use taco seasoning packets, but check the ingredients for gluten free. Spread the seasoning on a plate.
Dredge two large boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the Homemade Taco Seasoning. Press seasoning into chicken so it adheres well.
Grill chicken about 10-15 per side depending on how high your heat. Pierce chicken with a fork or use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.
Slice chicken down into strips.
Toss salad ingredients in bowl. Spread salad on individual plates. Sprinkle chicken and tortilla strips over top. Garnish with additional cilantro.
Then, drench, uh, drizzle salad dressing over top.
Chicken Fajita Salad is healthy, low calorie and gluten free.
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN FAJITA SALAD
(My own concoction)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 recipe [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/09/03/homemade-taco-seasoning/” target=”_blank” title=”homemade taco seasoning”]Homemade Taco Seasoning[/url], or 1 Taco Seasoning packet
- 2 10-oz. bags Romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ pints grape tomatoes, halved, or chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 cucumber quartered and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 4-oz. whole ripe medium olives, drained
- 4-oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- tortilla strips, for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
- Prepare Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Set aside.
- Wash veggies and pat dry.
- Place lettuce in salad bowl.
- Layer with tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, green onions, kidney beans, corn, olives and cheese.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Dredge chicken breasts in [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/09/03/homemade-taco-seasoning/” target=”_blank” title=”homemade taco seasoning”]taco seasoning[/url].
- Make sure both sides are well covered.
- Grill over high heat until done approximately 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- Slice chicken down into slices.
- To serve salad: Toss salad and place on individual plates.
- Garnish with cilantro, tortilla strips and chicken slices.
- Serve with your favorite salad dressing.
If you prefer more chicken on your salads you can easily grill up two more chicken breasts. Just make up another batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning.
This lovely salad is great for company meals, too. Especially when you’re trying to eat lighter.
Every bite of Chicken Fajita Salad will have you licking your chops!