Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cake Bars
This is a luscious and decadent red velvet bar that's ooey and gooey. This recipe uses a red velvet cake mix and then has a scrumptious cheesecake filling and chocolate chips or holiday red chocolate chips added to the filling. It's topped with sprinkled powdered sugar for a completely over-the-top dessert experience.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix
- 1 stick Land ‘O Lakes unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 oz. Wilton red food coloring , or more, if a stronger red color is desired
- 1/2 cup Nestle's Tollhouse chocolate chips or red chocolate chips
- powdered sugar for garnish
Mix cake mix, butter, and egg together.
Press into a greased 9x13” baking pan or dish (or spray with cooking spray).
Mix cream cheese, 2 eggs, powdered sugar, vanilla, and food coloring until well mixed.
Spread over top of crust layer.
Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
Bake at 350° for 60-75 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar.
Cut into bars when cool.
NOTE: Add 1 tsp. almond extract to cream cheese layer if you want additional flavor!
NOTE: You may want to refrigerate the bars before cutting, otherwise they are really gooey!
NOTE: Use red food coloring rather than gel if you want a redder color for the cream cheese layer.
Recipe source: adapted from Duncan Hines.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen