Pesto Lasagna is awesome! Everyone loves lasagna including me. I like it with Italian sausage, I like it Taco-style, I like it Ravioli-style and even Mexican Lasagna. So when I came across this one with pesto, I knew it was a must-make recipe. Pesto Lasagna uses ground beef and store bought Paul Newman marinara sauce, then it’s layered with a ricotta cheese mixture, fire-roasted peppers, pesto sauce and lots of cheese. Plus, this recipe uses oven ready noodles so you don’t have to precook them. It’s much, much easier that way.
Last month we had some friends who work with John move into a new house that’s also in the development where we are currently building our new home. I offered to bring them a meal which they accepted. When I asked what they liked to eat, Angela, the wife said, “I love lasagna.”
As it happened, this particular recipe was made for our church’s potluck earlier in the month so I thought it would be a good fit. I hadn’t had an opportunity to eat any of it then, because the casserole got cleaned out before I had an opportunity to try some, but I heard enough comments about it, that I tracked down the maker and asked her for the recipe. She was happy to give it to me. Later, I told her how much both we and the folks I made the lasagna for loved her lasagna recipe. Of course, she was delighted that we all enjoyed it so much.
I actually made a regular sized pan for Kal and Angela, and a smaller pan for us. My husband loves Italian but he’s not generally too keen on pesto. However, he loved this lasagna recipe. What’s not to love with loads of ricotta and mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, beef, pesto sauce, and roasted bell peppers. It’s a heavenly recipe that everyone loves. We certainly did and so did the family I made it for. They liked it so much they requested the recipe that same night! Even several folks at our church potluck asked for the recipe.
If you’re looking for a fantastic dish for holiday meals, company dinners, special occasions or just because your family also enjoys lasagna, you’ve got to give this Pesto Lasagna a try. I assure you, no one will be disappointed, and most will want seconds. Once you try it, you’ll see why everyone asked for the recipe.
Pesto Lasagna is one of the BEST lasagna recipes you’ll ever eat!
I guarantee you’ll be salivating after one bite.
Pesto sauce adds a nice little zip to this tasty entree.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Brown ground beef. Drain grease. Add Paul Newman’s Marinara Sauce and stir to combine. Heat through.
Spread about a cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a greased 9×13″ baking dish. Spread 3 noodles over top (don’t over lap the noodles).
Combine ricotta cheese and egg. Set aside.
Dollop globs of ricotta cheese over top of the noodles using up one-third of the mixture.
Dab one-third of the pesto sauce over top of the noodles, then add one-third of the drained, roasted bell pepper strips.
Sprinkle with a half cup mozzarella cheese.
Layer another 3 noodles over top of cheese. Spoon another cup of meat mixture over top of noodles.
Repeat layers: Dollop another third of the ricotta cheese, pesto sauce, roasted bell pepper strips and a half cup mozzarella cheese.
Top with another 3 noodles and another cup of meat mixture.
Dollop remaining ricotta cheese over top of meat mixture. Spoon remaining pesto sauce, remaining roasted bell peppers and an additional half cup cheese.
Layer last 3 noodles, remaining meat sauce and a cup of mozzarella cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, then foil. Refrigerate up to one day.
Bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven.
Sprinkle another cup of cheese over top and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese melts.
Garnish with fresh basil to serve.
If you enjoy lasagna, you’ve got to give Pesto Lasagna a try.
Here’s the recipe.
(Recipe adapted from Vonda Massingale, Ovilla Road Baptist Church, Ovilla, TX)
- 1 ½ lbs. 93% lean ground beef
- 24-oz. jar Paul Newman’s marinara sauce
- 12 no-cook (oven ready) lasagna noodles
- 16-oz. tub ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp. pesto sauce
- 1 8-oz. jar roasted yellow or red peppers, drained, and cut in strips
- 12-16-oz. mozzarella cheese (or more if desired)
- Grease a 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Cook beef in skillet over medium heat, breaking up chunks, until no longer pink.
- Stir in marinara sauce.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce in baking dish.
- Place 3 noodles crosswise on sauce (don’t overlap noodles).
- Scrape ricotta into a bowl.
- Add egg and stir until blended.
- Drop spoonfuls or 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of the pesto sauce over the noodles.
- Top with 1/3 of the pepper strips, ½ cup mozzarella, then 3 more noodles.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce on top to cover noodles.
- Repeat layers twice, starting with ricotta and pesto.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerate up to 1 day.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Remove foil and plastic wrap.
- Recover with foil.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until edges bubble and center is hot.
- Tent foil, if necessary to avoid cheese sticking to foil.
- If desired, sprinkle additional mozzarella cheese over top of lasagna and heat through another 5-10 minutes until melted.
The pesto sauce and roasted red pepper strips add delicious flavor to this tasty lasagna.
I told you, you’d be drooling!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $58.05Was: $70.00
Price: $14.99Was: $19.99
Price: $69.52Was: $90.00