Black Forest Dream Dessert is a dream. I mean this is one heavenly dessert. It is certainly a fabulous and tasty layered dessert! The baked crust has coconut and walnuts, then it’s topped with a cheesecake layer, this is followed by a cherry pie filling layer.
The next layer begins with vanilla pudding that has melted chocolate chips stirred in which makes it very thick. Finally, it’s topped with whipped topping, grated chocolate and maraschino cherries. Voila! Beautiful and delicious. This is a rich, decadent dessert that’s incredibly sumptuous. And though it has many layers it’s not overly difficult to make.
Years ago a dish of Black Forest Dream Dessert was brought to one of our Sunday school potlucks after church. I took one bite of this amazing gastronomic delight and knew I had to get the recipe! The gal who brought it got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine.
That didn’t surprise me since Taste of Home is an excellent source for great recipes. This recipe is a take-off on the “delight” recipes from the 70s and 80s that have a crust layer, a cream cheese layer composed of cream cheese, cool whip, and powdered sugar, then a pudding layer and more cool whip. Instead, this one adds a cherry pie filling layer and to the vanilla pudding layer it adds melted chocolate chips which makes that layer much more thick than a regular pudding layer. I added grated chocolate on top and maraschino cherries to keep with the Black Forest theme of the dessert.
If you’re looking for a superb dessert for special occasions like Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, or holiday celebrations, then please consider Black Forest Dream Dessert. It is wonderful!
Black Forest Dream Dessert is a lovely, elegant dessert. If you like chocolate and cherries together, this dessert is a must for your dessert repertoire.
Black Forest Dream Dessert is great for special occasions and holidays. If you want a rich, decadent, delectable dessert, this is it!
Doesn’t Black Forest Dream Dessert look yummy? Buried inside is a cheesecake layer, a chocolate pudding layer, a cherry pie filling layer and then lots of whipped topping, shaved chocolate and maraschino cherries. Wow!
Here’s what I did.
For the crust: Put UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour in a mixing bowl. (Bleached flour toughens baked goods). Add sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Toast finely chopped walnuts about 8-10 minutes at 350 or 400 degrees.
Add walnuts to flour mixture.
Stir to combine and press into a 9×13″ glass baking dish that has been sprayed with Baker’s Joy cooking spray (since it has flour in the spray).
Bake crust at 350 for about 15-18 minutes. Set aside to cool. Allow crust layer to cool completely. This will take at least 30 minutes. If you put the cheesecake layer on sooner, it will melt and dissolve and not stay pretty!
Meanwhile, make cream cheese layer. Soften cream cheese and put in mixing bowl.
Add powdered sugar and a cup of whipped topping.
Cream ingredients with an electric mixer until well mixed and set aside.
Pour vanilla pudding mix into a bowl. Add milk.
Beat with an electric mixer until thick.
Measure chocolate chips into microwave safe measuring cup.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave. I think mine took about 3 cycles of 30 seconds at 50% power.
Add a few tablespoonfuls of the chocolate mixture into the pudding mix and stir to combine.
Stir in remaining melted chocolate.
This is a very thick mixture. Set aside.
Smooth cream cheese over top of cooled crust layer.
Spread cheesecake layer to the edges.
Top cream cheese layer with a can of cherry pie filling.
Top cherry pie filling with chocolate pudding layer.
Top chocolate pudding layer with remaining cool whip.
Grate chocolate over top of the cool whip layer. You can also add more finely diced walnuts if you prefer.
Add maraschino cherries that have been patted dry.
Here’s what the inside texture looks like. This smooth, creamy dessert is wonderful for Valentine’s Day, special occasion dinners, or to bring to potlucks. Everyone loves it!
Black Forest Dream Dessert is a dream–it’s heavenly!
This dessert is a melt-in-your-mouth smooth, fluffy pie-like dessert that you’re whole family will love.
Here’s the recipe.
BLACK FOREST DREAM DESSERT
(Recipe adapted from Kelley Meeks, when we attended Hillcrest Baptist Church, Cedar Hill, TX; source: adapted from Taste of Home magazine, June/July 2007)
- 1 cup Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Additional chopped walnuts for garnish
- Maraschino cherries, rinsed and patted dry, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in coconut and toasted walnuts.
- Press into an ungreased 9×13” glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely. This will take about 30 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 cup whipped topping.
- Spread over cooled crust.
- Top with pie filling; cover and chill.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix milk and vanilla pudding with an electric mixer until mixture is thick.
- Whisk a small amount of melted chocolate into the vanilla pudding.
- Add remaining chocolate, whisking until all the chocolate is incorporated.
- Pour over cherry pie filling layer.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over dessert.
- Garnish with chocolate curls, maraschino cherries, and chopped walnuts, if desired.
Black Forest Dream Dessert is a multi-layer dessert that is so delicious you will have a hard time turning down a second piece!
Cheesecake, cherry pie filling, chocolate pudding, cool whip–what’s not to love! Each bite of Black Forest Dream Dessert is superb. Every time we have served this decadent dessert, our company has been impressed!