2013 – Gluten Free Living
Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup has such wonderful flavor. It’s loaded with chicken, potatoes, chickpeas, carrots, onions, leeks, and celery, then seasoned with parsley, sage, and thyme along with salt and pepper. It’s not pureed completely smooth so it has a nice, partially chunky texture along with the creaminess from the meat and veggies that have been pureed. Not only that, this delicious soup is both dairy free and gluten free for those with food allergies.
I was looking for a dairy free recipe for company we are having tomorrow after church. After making Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup yesterday I decided to make a double batch today so I could serve it to my guests tomorrow. One of the things I liked about this soup is it doesn’t overwhelm you with spices like cumin or chili powder. I was looking for a pleasant tasting soup for lots of little children who don’t care for spicy foods so this recipe fit the bill. But just because it’s not spicy hot doesn’t mean it’s flavorless. On the contrary, it’s full of tasty, savory flavors that even kids can enjoy.
My inspiration for this delicious recipe is Tamara Leigh: The Kitchen Novelist. While Tamara is a best-selling novelist, she also has a blog with some A-M-A-Z-I-N-G recipes. I usually want to try everything she makes! Check out her blog sometime. You won’t be disappointed. I’ve fiddled with and changed the recipe by increasing and adding more spices and a few additional ingredients and I think you’ll enjoy the results.
If you’re looking for a healthy, low calorie, dairy free, and gluten free chowder-type soup consider trying out this amazing recipe sometime. Even your kids will enjoy this tasty recipe. It is a wonderfully delicious comfort food. This stick-to-your-ribs soup is great for cold winter nights. Add a side of corn bread or gluten free bread for a tasty gluten free meal.
When I initially posted this recipe in January 2013, I was still using an iPhone for a camera so my pictures were not very sharp. I remade the recipe in December 2015 but I was still very much underwhelmed by the pictures I was able to get. Since this recipe is so amazing, I decided to make it again for lunch with a friend (January 2017). I was a little happier with the results this time. Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup is a delicious recipe that’s incredibly delicious comfort food especially served with your favorite bread or rolls.
Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup tastes spectacularly. It is amazing comfort food.
Your family will love this hearty, tasty soup, plus it has no dairy and no gluten.
This flavorful Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup is chocked full of potatoes, chickpeas, mushrooms, carrots, chicken and other vegetables.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. I cooked off two boneless chicken breasts the night before in a crockpot so I had plenty of homemade chicken broth.
Place chicken and chicken broth in a very large crockpot.
Add onions, leeks, red potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery and garlic.
And salt, pepper, thyme, chives, sage, marjoram and parsley. Cover with lid and cook about 3 hours on high until veggies are tender.
Rinse and drain chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Add to crockpot and heat through.
Remove four to six cups of the soup and puree in a blender until smooth.
Add pureed soup mixture to crockpot.
Add spinach. (Chop, if desired). Stir spinach into crockpot and allow to heat through about 5-10 minutes.
Garnish soup with fresh chives, if desired.
Each ladleful of soup is filled with lots of thick carrots, potatoes, chick peas, spinach and chicken. Your family will love this amazing soup.
This soup has a delicious combination of flavors. I can eat bowls full of the stuff.
I garnished each bowl of soup with additional chickpeas.
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN-CHICK PEA-POTATO SOUP
(Recipe inspired from Tamara Leigh: The Kitchen Novelist)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 leek, green top removed, sliced
- 1 heaping tsp. minced garlic from a jar
- 8-oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp. dried or 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. dried or 1 tbsp. fresh, minced sage
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dry or 1 tbsp. fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 tbsp. dried or ¼ cup fresh snipped chives
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 cups leftover cooked, cubed chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 2-1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup matchstick carrots or carrot chips
- 2 cups de-stemmed fresh baby spinach, chopped
- Place chicken, onions, celery, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and leeks in a crockpot.
- Add thyme, marjoram, parsley, sage, chives, salt, black pepper and broth and cook on high for about 3 hours or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in rinsed and drained garbanzo beans (chickpeas), and heat through about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender*, puree soup lightly (you’ll want to retain the texture of some whole veggies and chicken); stir in spinach to partially pureed soup mixture.
- Turn off crockpot.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
If you aren’t allergic to gluten, Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup is great served with hot rolls.
I’ve saved a serving for you!
Chicken-Chickpea-Potato Soup is a wonderful, comforting soup on cold winter nights.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!