Gluten Free Living – 2014
Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup is phenomenal! Seriously. I can’t rave high enough about this wonderful, succulent and incredibly tasty soup. Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup is just that–LOADED! It’s loaded with cheese, loaded with bacon, loaded with sweet potatoes and loaded with taste. This fabulous soup is also gluten free.
I’m always looking for ways to use sweet potatoes and I had a lot in my refrigerator that I needed to use up a couple of weeks ago. I wondered if I could make up a soup that would be similar to Loaded Baked Potato Soup but use sweet potatoes instead. I hit pay dirt with this combination of flavors and texture. Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup is sensational and I think you’ll agree with me if you give it a try.
Everything is always a little better with cheese and bacon and this soup is no exception. It’s the perfect comfort food for cooler fall or winter nights when you’re in the mood for something to warm you up. Plus, the flavors are so exceptionally delicious you won’t be able to stop eating!
If you want comfort food extraordinaire, then give Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup a go the next time you have some extra sweet potatoes on hand. You and your family are sure to love this delicious main dish. It has texture, savory taste and sensational flavor. Each mouthful is as mouthwatering as you can imagine.
Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup is incredibly scrumptious. I couldn’t stop eating this amazing soup.
I garnished Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup with bacon bits, cheddar cheese and green onions. You could also garnish this soup with sour cream if you wanted that flavor. We liked it this way, though.
I added just a hint of cayenne pepper which really made this soup nice and savory.
Here’s what I did.
Set aside 5 or 6 pieces of bacon and microwave them approximately 1 minute per piece or until cooked through. Set aside as a garnish. To remaining bacon, cut in 1″ strips and fry about 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally before adding diced onions.
Add gluten free flour and whisk until combined.
Add half-and-half about 1/4 cup at a time until all is worked into the soup.
Add cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley.
Add baked sweet potatoes. I mashed them with a potato masher, but not real fine. I wanted some chunks of potato in the soup. Stir potatoes into soup.
After tasting the soup I thought a little cayenne pepper was in order. It was just what the soup needed.
Stir to combine and heat through. To serve: Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with bacon bits, cheese and the tops of the green onions.
If you enjoy sweet potatoes you’ve gotta give this soup a try!
The bacon and cheese provide such savory flavors for this soup.
We drooled over every bite of this delicious soup. It really is some of the best comfort food you’ll ever eat.
Here’s the recipe.
LOADED BAKED SWEET POTATO SOUP
(My own concoction)
- 6 large sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed lightly with a potato masher
- 1 lb. bacon, divided use
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.bobsredmill.com/” target=”_blank” title=”bobsredmill”]Bob’s Red Mill[/url] all-purpose gluten free flour
- ½ gallon half-and-half
- 1 cup 2% milk (see note)
- 8-oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 heaping tablespoon parsley
- 1 heaping tablespoon chives
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- a few shakes of cayenne pepper
- green onions, sharp cheddar cheese and bacon for garnish
- Bake sweet potatoes at 400° about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Peel, mash lightly with potato masher and set aside.
- Remove 6 slices of bacon and microwave until crisp, approximately 6 minutes between layers of paper towels.
- Break bacon pieces up into small pieces and set aside for garnish.
- Slice 2 or 3 green onions for garnish and set aside.
- Meanwhile, Cut remaining bacon in 1 inch slices and sauté over medium heat in large stock pot.
- After about 5 minutes add onions and continue sautéing until bacon is cooked.
- Add flour and whisk to combine.
- Slowly work in half-and-half until combined.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add cheese, parsley, chives, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to combine.
- Now slowly stir in potatoes and milk.
- Add more milk if the soup thickens too much.
- Cover with lid and heat over low heat until the mixture is totally heated through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Check for seasonings.
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish with cheese, the tops of the green onions, and reserved bacon pieces.
Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Soup is comfort food at its best!
We loved the texture of this creamy soup due to the bacon, onions, and chunks of sweet potato. Yum.
Every mouthful is awesome! Better come join me to find out for yourself. 🙂
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $104.99Was: $130.00
Price: Out of stock