Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple is terrific. What a delicious soup! This mouth-watering recipe has a wonderful sweet potato taste with the additional sweetness from apples, a savory taste from the leeks, and the fragrant taste of fresh minced ginger.
I’ve never used fresh ginger before but it sure does add amazing taste to this recipe. This wonderful vegan soup is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and is a great comfort food for the cool fall weather we are currently experiencing.
The suggested way to serve this soup is with a lime slice drizzled over top and then sprinkled with chili powder. I tried eating the soup plain, with just the chili powder, and with both chili powder and lime juice. I definitely preferred it with both the lime juice and the chili powder. It made an incredible difference to the taste of the recipe.
I found this marvelous recipe online from The New York Times and food contributor, Martha Rose Shulman. I’ve adapted the recipe slightly to fit my tastes, but I think you will like the changes. I’ve used a lot less chili powder than the picture shows with the original recipe, but I wasn’t sure how hot it would be.
I liked it like this but a little more would have been fine too. You can adjust the chili powder garnish to your taste.
When I originally published this recipe in October 2012, I was doing a Daniel Fast with recipes that included no grains and no dairy. Unfortunately, I was still using an iPhone 3 for a camera so my pictures less than pleasing.
When I made the recipe this time (October 2016), I didn’t sprinkle chili powder over top of the soup or use lime juice. Instead, I garnished the soup with pumpkin seeds. It was wonderful that way too. I brought it for lunch with a friend and we both loved it. If you want comfort food at its best, give Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple a try soon.
Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple is both sweet and savory–especially if you sprinkle a little chili powder or cayenne pepper.
Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple is smooth and so satisfying.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place two tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Slice two leeks and sauté for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Peel skin from ginger with a vegetable peeler. Mince ginger. Add minced fresh ginger to stock pot and sauté for about a minute until fragrant.
Add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, Russet potatoes, apples and salt.
Cover stock pot. Bring veggies to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. With an immersion blender, puree ingredients until smooth.
Serve soup with pumpkin seeds if desired.
Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple is healthy, low calorie, gluten free and vegan.
Sweet potatoes and apples make for one delicious soup.
Here’s the recipe.
SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH GINGER, LEEK AND APPLE
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or coconut oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced
- 4 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 2 large Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and diced
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt, or more to taste
- Fresh lime juice and medium-hot chili powder or chipotle chili powder for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the leek and cook, stirring, until it is tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the ginger and stir together until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, regular potato, apples and vegetable broth, salt, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes to an hour, until all of the ingredients are thoroughly tender.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth.
- Return the sweet potato mixture to the sauce pot, and heat through.
- Check seasoning and add more salt if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish by squeezing a little lime juice and sprinkling a little chili powder over each serving.
The flavors of Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple were amazing. This soup was very satisfying.
For a hearty, filling soup on cold, winter nights, consider making up a batch of Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger, Leek and Apple.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $40.90Was: $79.99