These nifty Potato Breakfast Burritos are so scrumptious! This is a wonderful breakfast idea for those days when you want to have a hot, cooked breakfast for your family. Plus, they’re great for a grab and go breakfast when you’re out the door.
They start with a batch of Fried Potatoes. The seasonings on this recipe make all the difference. Then you add scrambled eggs and cheese and roll up in a moist tortilla. Microwave the burrito for 30 seconds. (The burritos are wrapped either in a paper towel or in wax paper that has been sprayed first with cooking spray). Voila! The burrito is hot, the cheese has melted into the potatoes and eggs, and you have one delicious breakfast.
I was trying to come up with some protein options for our Ladies’ Conference last weekend when someone in our Sunday school class suggested doing Breakfast Burritos. Breakfast Burritos are not something I’ve actually ever made before. But since the gal who suggested it offered to come help, I decided to go with it. We made five or six different kinds of burritos and they really turned out yummy. (I know because I had to be the taste tester with each batch). 🙂
A couple of words from the chef before trying to make burritos for the first time: first, you will need to keep the tortillas hot from the microwave or they will tear while rolling. I placed 5 or 6 tortillas between two damp paper towels and microwaved on high about 30 seconds.
Second, Breakfast Burritos are not an exact science. I will do the best I can to provide the best directions and amounts, but you may find you like more of one item and less of another. Try one with these specifications and then improvise according to your family’s wishes.
Third, we tried baking these in the oven but the tortillas toughen too much. I recommend microwaving them instead.
We were making a huge volume of burritos so the amounts in the pictures are massive. I will try to break down the amounts to more family size portions. The bottom line for this recipe is you need about 10 tortillas, 4 or 5 scrambled eggs, a large handful of cheddar cheese, and about 3/4 cup of seasoned, cooked, fried potatoes. (Probably equivalent to one medium to large potato, diced and fried).
If you have your own method of making fried potatoes that you prefer, by all means use what’s easiest for you. And, certainly, if you have specific flavors you like on your eggs (like hot sauce), include what you like.
We served Potato Breakfast Burritos with salsa, but they are also good plain. Because I season my potatoes when I fry them, these burritos were not bland but highly flavored.
If you’re looking for a tasty Breakfast Burrito recipe, then consider giving this recipe a whirl. It’s really nice for a holiday breakfast because you can make the burritos up a day ahead and then just microwave them before you’re ready to serve.
These are also great to make up in bulk. You can freeze them and microwave later, and eat them throughout the week for a quick but hearty breakfast. These burritos are vegetarian so they are also great for Meatless Mondays or when you want to have breakfast for dinner! 😉
Potato Breakfast Burritos are a wonderful and hearty breakfast entree.
Serve Potato Breakfast Burritos with salsa, fruit and your favorite sides.
These burritos are mouthwatering.
Here’s what I did.
If you’ve already made up a batch of Fried Potatoes for something else, this is a great recipe to include the leftovers. Otherwise, fry up some potatoes and season with garlic salt, pepper, dill weed, paprika, parsley and chives. Set aside.
Place a tablespoon or so of butter in a skillet and heat to medium-medium-high heat. Crack four eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add whisked eggs to skillet.
Season with salt and pepper. Slowly scramble eggs until completely cooked through.
Here the eggs are finished. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, and cheese.
(This is probably at least five times the amount for the recipe I’m giving you so don’t be alarmed when your batch doesn’t make this much. This would be for about 50 burritos!
Place about 10 tortillas between damp paper towels and microwave on high about 20 seconds. Remove a tortilla and pile the filling into the middle of the burrito and stack on top. Fold the bottom up to the middle of the burrito.
Now fold one side to the middle of the burrito. Gently roll the burrito over. (These beautiful hands don’t belong to me! Thank you, Shelby, for all your help!)
Here the burrito mixture is covered in the tortilla.
Tuck the flaps into the center of the tortilla like this. Spray waxed paper with cooking spray (or wrap loosely in paper towels). Roll tortilla in paper and microwave about 30 seconds on high to serve.
Potato Breakfast Burritos are a tasty treat your family is sure to enjoy. This recipe is even easier if you cook up the potatoes ahead of time. (I made mine the day before we prepared these.)
You will be smacking your lips after eating these delicious burritos.
While we served Potato Breakfast Burritos for breakfast, these are also great for Meatless Monday dishes and dinner!
Here’s the recipe.
POTATO BREAKFAST BURRITOS
(Recipe adapted from Shelby Etter, Ovilla Road Baptist Church, Ovilla, TX)
- ¾ cup [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/08/11/fried-potatoes/” target=”_blank” title=”fried potatoes”]fried potatoes[/url] (seasoned with garlic salt, paprika, pepper, dill weed, parsley and chives)
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- ¾ to 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6-10 tortillas
- salt and pepper
- Peel one medium to large potato and dice in chunks.
- Melt a tablespoon or two of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt, paprika, pepper, dill weed, parsley and chives.
- Cover with lid and cook, turning potatoes with a spatula every five minutes or so until fork tender.
- Remove potatoes from burner and set aside.
- Melt butter in a separate skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- Crack 4 into a bowl and whisk.
- Pour whisked egg mixture into skillet and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Slowly scramble the eggs until cooked through. In a large mixing bowl, place eggs, potatoes, and cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Place a damp paper towel on bottom and top of tortillas.
- Microwave on high about 20 seconds.
- Remove from microwave.
- Place a heaping scoop of burrito mixture down the center of the tortilla and heap up with your hands if necessary to kind of pack it together.
- Fold the bottom of the tortilla up to the center.
- Now take one side and fold to the middle.
- Roll burrito to cover the burrito mixture.
- With your fingers, tuck in the remaining end pieces to the center of the burrito so the filling doesn’t come out.
- Spray small pieces of waxed paper with cooking spray.
- Place burrito in waxed paper and roll up.
- Microwave on high for about 30 seconds.
- Serve with salsa.
Once your potatoes are cooked, these cook up pretty quickly.
The cheese seems to glue all the ingredients together!
Yum! It’s time to eat.