2013 – Gluten Free Living
Loaded Baked Potato Soup is heavenly. Earlier this week I was looking through my Pinterest boards and found this recipe from Disney’s Carnation Cafe that I pinned last summer. So as I was drooling over the picture I decided it was time to make this amazing soup. All I can say is that this soup rated 5 Stars with me! If you use gluten free bacon and flour, the recipe will remain gluten free. But you can just as easily use regular flour if you don’t have gluten intolerance.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup was spectacular. It’s a potato soup with carrots, celery, onions and bacon in a thick chowder-type sauce and then topped off with your favorite toppings like sour cream, chives, bacon and cheese. Whoa, baby! Forget about calories when making this recipe, but enjoy this comfort food to the fullest!
The essence of bacon permeated the soup because you start by frying bacon and then add the veggies into the bacon grease and saute. The smoky bacon-like taste was awesome. This soup has become one of my all-time favorites.
No, Loaded Baked Potato Soup can never be considered healthy or low calorie even if it is gluten free. It’s filled with bacon and fattening dairy-based calories. But it certainly is one of the best tasting soup recipes I’ve ever had, and one I make for company and special occasions frequently.
If you’re looking for a hearty no-holds-barred chowder that’s filled with calories as well as having a fantastic taste, look no farther than Loaded Baked Potato Soup. It’s really a fairly easy soup to make. Quite frankly, I think this recipe is just about perfect! The taste is superb and it sure has my vote of approval!
Okay, I originally made this soup in March 2013 when I was still using an iPhone, so my pictures just weren’t as clear as I would have liked. When I remade the soup for company in May of 2014, my pictures didn’t turn out well at all. If anything the poor quality pictures from the iPhone were better! Yikes. 🙁
So, I remade the soup for our Super Bowl party (February 2017) this year determined to get some decent pictures. Finally, these are some I can live with. (Trying not to be a perfectionist, but gee whiz!) Everyone RAVED over this soup, and you’ll see why if you make it.
This Loaded Baked Potato Soup is spectacular. You can dollop sour cream, fresh green onions, bacon and cheese on top, if you desire.
Every bite is filled with potatoes and lots of bacon and cheese. Serve this marvelous soup with flatbread, French bread, crackers or a loaf of home baked bread. Prepare yourself for a culinary experience to die for!
I garnished the soup with green onions, melted cheese and bacon. Yes, I was in hog heaven, pun intended. 🙂
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients to make this recipe. The clear bowl contains homemade chicken broth. Note that I used a gluten free flour so this recipe is gluten free. But you can use regular flour if you don’t have gluten intolerance.
To begin: Cut a pound and a half of bacon in 1″ slices. Be sure to wash your board with hot soapy water or put in the dishwasher after doing this step. You don’t want cross contamination with the vegetables. Fry bacon in skillet until completely cooked. This will take about 15 minutes. Continue turning bacon over until all the fat is fried completely.
I removed the cooked bacon pieces and set them on dry paper towels to absorb the extra grease. Set aside about 1/2 lb. of the bacon for garnish. DO NOT DRAIN the bacon grease from the Dutch oven.
Do NOT drain the bacon grease. There will be about a cup in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add celery, onion and carrots and saute about 5-7 minutes. (I covered with lid part of the cooking time).
Add potatoes and cook 5-10 minutes with lid covered.
Stir gluten free flour into potato mixture. Cook about 5-7 minutes.
Add chicken broth and most of the bacon and simmer with lid covered about 25 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.
If desired, once potatoes are cooked, mash about half of them with a potato masher to make the mixture creamier in texture. (I omitted this step).
Add heavy whipping cream.
Add pink Himalayan sea salt and pepper. Simmer the soup mixture about 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
Now the soup is ready.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup is filled with lots of chunks of potatoes, bacon, and carrots.
For garnish I added diced green onions, lots of cheese, and lots of bacon pieces. It was wonderful! Serve with your favorite homemade bread and you have a very filling and satisfying meal.
This is an incredibly tasty soup that’s really nice enough to serve to company. It’s very hearty and filling too.
The cheese and bacon on top of the soup added so much extra flavor. You can add sour cream if you desire, but I preferred serving Loaded Baked Potato Soup this way.
Here’s the recipe.
LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
(Recipe adapted from Chef Oscar, Disney’s Carnation Café)
- 1 1/2 pounds bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 pounds petite red potatoes, finely diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Optional garnishes: chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half pound for garnish.
- In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- (If you cut your potatoes in large dice like I did, you need to cook the potatoes between 10-15 minutes here or they won’t be cooked long enough).
- Whisk in gluten free flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and one pound of the bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add more chicken broth if necessary.
- If the potatoes are cubed it may take longer to cook them.
- Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture.
- Add whipping cream and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until soup thickens.
- Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Your family will love this delightful soup recipe from the kitchens of Disney’s Carnation Cafe. Better grab the recipe and make yourself some right away!
While gluten free, this soup is not low calorie! But it sure tastes amazing. I’ve had several bowls of this delicious soup now and each one was heavenly. I adored the flavors of this great soup and it reheats nicely too. Loaded Baked Potato Soup has got to be one of my all-time favorite soups. It is so sumptuous.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $13.00Was: $15.00