I love this fantastic Peppermint Crunch Chunkies cookie recipe. It has lots of Andes peppermint pieces, coconut, oatmeal, and pecans and it bakes up into a really fabulous cookie. I have made it mixing all the pieces into the batch and baking like that, or placing extra peppermint pieces on top before baking. The recipe works either way. It is totally amazing. I highly recommend it for your holiday baking because it is hard to find these chips any other time of the year.
While I have received a lot of my favorite recipes from family and friends over the years, some of my best recipes have actually come from the backs of packages or mixes by those selling the product I purchase. That’s the case with these delicious cookies.
A couple of years ago Andes Mints came out with peppermint- flavored baking chips for recipes and I decided to try them out and this recipe was on the back of the package. Oh, my goodness! These cookies are delightful. Last year I couldn’t find peppermint baking chips in the stores anywhere, but I saw them again this year so I bought 10-12 bags of them so I would have them for Christmas baking and beyond.
When I initially posted this recipe in November 2012, I was still using an iPhone for a camera. My pictures weren’t as clear as I’d have liked. I recently remade these cookies (December 2016) for our Christmas cookie baking this year and took a few new pictures. These cookies have always been some of my favorites. If you enjoy peppermint, you’ll love this take on oatmeal cookies!
Peppermint Crunch Chunkies are delightful. They are great for office parties or other holiday baking.
Peppermint Crunch Chunkies are also a great Valentine’s Day cookie to bake.
These cookies are filled with coconut, oatmeal and Andes peppermint baking chips.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Add softened butter to mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, salt, baking soda and vanilla.
Mix all the ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens cookies and cakes. Add oatmeal, coconut, chopped pecans, and Andes Peppermint baking chips.
Don’t try to substitute candy canes as that will add way too much sugar and you will have a caramelized mess on your hands. Stir all ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon until combined.
Roll cookie dough mixture into balls and place on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake about 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. The cookies will still be raising but will settle and continue cooking as they cool on the hot cookie sheets.
Peppermint Crunch Chunkies will make a great addition to your holiday baking list.
These cookies are beautiful enough for company, but don’t let that stop you from making them for your own family. You won’t be disappointed. Just be sure not to overcook them.
Here’s the recipe.
PEPPERMINT CRUNCH CHUNKIES
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¾ cups UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 ¼ cups chopped pecans
- 1 ½ cups (10-oz. bag) [url href=”http://www.tootsie.com/candy/andes-mints” target=”_blank” title=”andes mints”]Andes[/url] peppermint Crunch baking chips (divided use)
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Measure out about a ½ cup of baking chips to press on tops of cookies.
- Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix completely.
- Stir in flour, oats, coconut, pecans and 1 ½ cups peppermint baking chips.
- Roll dough into balls and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Press remaining peppermint chips on top of each cookie.
- Bake about 12-15 minutes.
- Do not over bake. They get crunchy on the outside but remain soft inside.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool.
If you enjoy oatmeal, coconut, pecans and peppermint you will love the combination in Peppermint Crunch Chunkies.
Each bite of Peppermint Crunch Chunkies is spectacular.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!