I love this delicious Spicy Apple Pie French Toast recipe. A few weeks ago I was in the mood for French toast, but wanted to serve it with sauteed apples and maple syrup rather than just plain with maple syrup. I concocted this delicious recipe that uses lots of spices in the apples as well as in the French toast batter.
For those who want a sweeter, thicker apple filling you can add sugar and a little flour to the apples while sauteeing. As it was, I was trying to keep it a little more on the healthy side so it is all natural apple and spice flavors instead.
If you’re looking for a fabulous special occasion breakfast or brunch recipe, I highly recommend Spicy Apple Pie French Toast. It is amazing. While I used homemade bread for the toast in the recipe, you can use any kind of bread. However, I would strongly recommend a cinnamon-raisin type bread rather than other kinds to bump up the flavors even more. The next time you whip up French toast for breakfast, enjoy it with lots of spicy slabs of apples and maple syrup drizzled over top. Yum.
Spicy Apple Pie French Toast is a sensational breakfast or brunch recipe.
Here’s a look at one of the sauteed apples with lots of spices adhering to it.
This view shows the French toast with maple syrup drizzled over top and apples on the side. I couldn’t get enough of Spicy Apple Pie French Toast. It was so wonderful.
Here’s what I did.
These are the spices I coated the apples with when I sauteed them in a skillet.
Melt butter in a cast iron skillet. Add apple slices and spices and saute until apples are tender. Keep warm.
These are the ingredients I used for dipping the bread slices in to make the batter for French toast.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Dip bread slices in milk mixture and submerge for about 15 seconds for each slice to absorb the liquid. Shake off excess.
Place butter in cast iron skillet or griddle. Place soaked bread pieces in skillet or griddle. Fry until golden brown.
Turn bread pieces over and fry remaining side. Serve with apple slices piled on top.
Spicy Apple Pie French Toast is so scrumptious. The flavors of all the spices on both the apples and the bread are marvelous. This is a great way to use up an abundance of apples from fall harvest!
If you’re a French toast lover like me, you will love this recipe.
Serve Apple Pie French Toast with a side of sausage or bacon, Fried Potatoes, Eggs, and/or fruit.
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 small Gala apples, unpeeled, diced
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 10 slices bread (any kind, I used homemade [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2014/01/08/finnish-cardamom-loaf/” target=”_blank” title=”finnish cardamom loaf”]Finnish Cardamom Loaf[/url])
- maple syrup, if desired
- In a cast-iron skillet melt butter.
- Add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves and sauté until soft and tender about 5-10 minutes.
- Set aside. In a large mixing bowl add milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir to combine.
- Melt butter over griddle or skillet.
- Submerse each bread slice in milk mixture about 15-20 seconds.
- Drain off excess and place bread in skillet.
- Fry bread about 5 minutes per side, flip bread over, fry remaining side until all the bread is used up.
- Serve bread whole or cut on the diagonal.
- Spread apple pie filling over top of each piece of French toast.
- Glaze with maple syrup if desired.
Spicy Apple Pie French Toast is a great breakfast to serve for company. This is also a great meal when you want to make breakfast for dinner! I liked it with both the sauteed apples and maple syrup.
Why don’t you grab a fork and join me?