Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting is heavenly. This tasty banana cake is pretty easy to make as far as cakes go. It’s made with bananas and walnuts and reminds you of homemade Banana Bread except it’s even richer and fluffier. Greek yogurt or sour cream plus the bananas help keep the cake moist. The Butterscotch Fudge Frosting adds incredible flavor and sweetness.
This great recipe almost didn’t happen! I started out planning on making some kind of banana bar, but decided to make a cake instead. I had tons of overripe bananas I was trying to get rid of so a banana bread-type cake seemed like a good option. I added a luscious, but simple, butterscotch frosting and, voila, this rich cake turned out superbly. Butterscotch and bananas go so well together.
Last month one of the folks in our Sunday school class had a father pass away unexpectedly. I planned on dropping off a meal to them but instead, they asked us to join them. So I brought a meal for the four of us, and it turned out to be a meal where we spent a couple of hours of sharing, reminiscing and enjoying each other’s company. For dessert I brought along this scrumptious cake which I had previously frozen. Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting was very well received. 🙂
If you’re ready for a divine cake you’re whole family will enjoy for family dinners, company, even holiday meals, then I suggest giving this delectable Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting a try. Better be prepared to drool though. 🙂
You’ll be drooling over every bite of this luscious Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting.
Sprinkle with additional butterscotch fudge frosting and butterscotch chips before serving, if desired.
Every bite of this cake was yummy.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients. You can use either Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Place butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla, sour cream or Greek yogurt, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add mashed bananas and finely diced walnuts.
Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon to combine.
Grease a 9×13″ baking dish. Pour cake batter into prepared dish. Batter will be thick.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I used these ingredients to make the Butterscotch Fudge Frosting.
Place butterscotch chips in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir continually until mixture melts.
Remove from heat. Add vanilla and stir to combine.
Pour topping over top of cake. Allow icing to dry completely before cutting.
Serve Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting with ice cream, if desired.
This cake freezes wonderfully if you want to make it ahead.
Here’s the recipe.
BANANA CAKE WITH BUTTERSCOTCH FUDGE FROSTING
(My own concoction)
- 3 cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Chobani plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup finely diced walnuts[br]
- [b]BUTTERSCOTCH FUDGE FROSTING:[/b]
- 12-oz. pkg. butterscotch chips
- 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix sugar, butter, Greek yogurt or sour cream, eggs, vanilla, salt and baking soda with an electric mixer until smooth and well mixed.
- Add flour, bananas and walnuts.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Spray a 9×13” glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread cake mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.[br]
- Melt the butterscotch chips and condensed milk in a saucepan over low to medium heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and whisk into mixture.
- Spread frosting very quickly over cake.
If you enjoy butterscotch, you’ll love this cake.
Banana Cake with Butterscotch Fudge Frosting is rich, decadent and amazing!
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!