Chicken and Yellow Rice
Chicken and Yellow Rice is savory, succulent and so delectable! It’s certainly one of our favorite chicken entrees. Chicken is baked on top of a bed of seasoned yellow rice mixed with chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. It’s a tasty main dish meal that’s great for company or family dinners. I make it regularly for families in need of a meal because it tastes so delicious and usually kids like it too.
This main dish is so quick and easy to put together, too. It only has four ingredients making it one of those casseroles you can assemble in 5 minutes time and then put it in the oven to bake. I have not tried it in the crockpot, but I’m sure it would turn out well that way too. It’s very tasty and quite economical as well. Add a salad or veggie and you have a complete meal.
Back in the early 1980s a good friend asked me to type all of her recipes into my new personal computer so we could print out a cookbook of all her recipes. This was one of Mimi’s favorite recipes. I think it may have been a family recipe. I’m pretty sure she served it often.
It’s just a great recipe for any occasion. I use a delicious saffron yellow rice packet to make it. The chicken is mouthwatering and very tender prepared this way. Our family has enjoyed this recipe many times over the years. I’m sure you will too.
I first posted this recipe in August 2012. I was new to the blogosphere then and the pictures were quite deplorable. I recently remade this recipe (March 2014) and freshened up the pictures so you can get a better idea of how lovely this one-dish casserole really is.
If you’re looking for a scrumptious main dish chicken and rice recipe, then give this excellent recipe a try sometime. You won’t be disappointed.
Chicken and Yellow Rice on the plate and ready to serve.
Chicken and Yellow Rice is a great one-dish meal to serve for company.
Tasty saffron yellow rice makes a great base for this Chicken and Yellow Rice dish.
Here’s what I did.
You only need 4 ingredients!
Mix three packets of yellow rice, a can of cream of chicken soup and 2 cups of chicken broth.
Stir to combine.
Spray a 10×15″ baking dish with cooking spray. Add rice mixture. Lay chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Remove chicken from oven. Fluff rice with a fork and add an additional cup of broth. Bake an additional 30 minutes.
Turn chicken pieces over. Add an additional cup or so of broth and bake another 15-30 minutes until done. Fluffy rice every 15 minutes.
Here the chicken and rice is ready.
Chicken and Yellow Rice is so quick and easy. Four-ingredient recipes are wonderful.
Here’s an individual serving.
Time to eat and enjoy!
Here’s the recipe.
CHICKEN & YELLOW RICE
(Recipe from Mimi Pownall, when we attended First Baptist Church Indian Rocks, Largo, FL)
- 3 5-oz. pkg. Mahatma yellow rice with seasonings
- 6 chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3-4 cups hot water with either 3 bouillon cubes or 3 tsp. instant chicken bouillon or substitute chicken broth
- Place yellow rice in a mixing bowl.
- Add soup and 2 cups chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Lay rice mixture in bottom of a 10×15” greased casserole dish.
- Lay chicken pieces on top.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes.
- Fluff rice and turn chicken over.
- Add another cup of chicken broth.
- Using a fork, remove any rice or seasoning that has adhered to the back of the chicken pieces.
- Bake another 30 minutes and fluff again.
- Add an additional cup of chicken broth or water.
- Bake 30 more minutes and fluff about every 10-15 minutes to get liquid to absorb into rice.
Chicken and Yellow Rice is a kid-friendly main dish.
I prefer my chicken with a large serving of succulent and delicious yellow saffron rice.
Chicken and Yellow Rice is a wonderful main dish meal your whole family will enjoy.