Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies are terrific. Chocolate, cheesecake, chocolate chips–what’s not to love with this great combination??? The rich chocolatey flavor permeates this delicious dessert and it is incredibly tasty.
This recipe is more cake-like rather than dense and brownie-like which is not really what I had in mind when I made it. I prefer brownies to have a thick dense texture rather than a fluffy chocolate cake-type texture. So while I will give you the recipe as it’s written because it tastes amazingly delicious, (like chocolate cake with a cheesecake layer swirled inside), I will also include my suggestions for making this recipe more like a traditional brownie rather than a cake.
Last August I saw this great looking recipe and knew I wanted to make it for a special occasion. I finally got around to making these cheesecake brownies a couple of weeks ago. Originally, the recipe was provided by Taste of Home. This recipe isn’t particularly difficult and one batch fills a jelly roll pan yielding about 4 dozen brownies.
If you’re looking for a delicious chocolate cheesecake swirled cake-type confection than leave the recipe as it stands. But if you want more of a brownie than I suggest omitting the water entirely and increasing the unsweetened chocolate to a full 2 ounces. Either way the result is delicious.
When I initially made this recipe in March 2013, I was using only an iPhone for a camera so my pictures were less than pleasing. I recently remade this recipe (May 2015) for a friend who wanted desserts for a fundraiser dinner.
This time I omitted the water entirely and totally loved the way this recipe turned out. Not only that, my friend told me she had several people come up to her and tell her how much they LOVED the Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies!
When I sampled them right after baking, they were gooey, more brownie and less cake-like than the first version and just as delectable and amazing as can be. I can’t recommend these brownies high enough for tailgating parties, holiday baking, or any time you need a chocolate fix! 🙂
Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies have a lovely chocolatey taste.
The swirled cheesecake filling and chocolate chips make this brownie so decadent.
Don’t Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies look scrumptious?
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the chocolate layer.
Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in saucepan. The recipe calls for adding water here but I omitted that so the brownies would be more dense instead of cake like. That made this whole recipe so much better.
In a mixing bowl, add UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour. Bleached flour toughens baked goods. Add brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir ingredients to combine.
Add eggs and sour cream.
Stir ingredients together to combine.
Meanwhile, bring chocolate mixture to a simmer and cook a bit until it thickens. Add chocolate to other batter and stir well to combine. Set aside.
I used these ingredients for the cheesecake filling.
Soften cream cheese. Add egg, vanilla and sugar.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.
Spray a 10×15″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread chocolate mixture into pan.
Spoon cream cheese filling over top of the chocolate layer. Using a knife, swirl through both layers of batter to marbleize.
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Bake at 375 for about 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies taste spectacularly. Each bite was gooey and wonderful!
The chocolate chips soften but don’t completely melt while baking. These goodies are great for holiday baking.
Here’s the recipe.
MARBLED CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE BROWNIES
Originally published as Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Bars in Country Extra January 1999, p49
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces Baker’s unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt, pressing the lumps from the brown sugar with the back of the wooden spoon.
- Add eggs and sour cream; beat with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate mixture until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla; set aside.
- Spread chocolate batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking dish.
- Drop cream cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls over batter; cut through the batter with a knife to swirl.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Spread over top of brownie layer.
- Swirl cream cheese layer into brownie layer with a knife.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Bake as directed above.
Try Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies for your next picnic, potluck, or family gathering.
Every bite of Marbled Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies is so delectable you won’t be able to stop!