Baked Oreo Donuts
I have wanted to bake up a batch of Baked Oreo Donuts for several years now. I finally decided to just go for it. These chocolate donuts are filled with Oreo cookie crumbs. Then they have a cream cheese frosting with crushed Oreo cookies on top. Yes, they are absolutely amazing. And, I wanted more, more more!
I found a recipe that looked good and decided to give it a go. I added some oreo cookie crumbs to the donuts as well as used a chocolate extract to bump up the flavor. The only thing I would suggest is to add additional powdered sugar to the icing so that it has more body and isn’t so thin. I almost did that when I was making the glaze, but went against my instincts. 🙁 Yes, the icing needs to be a little thicker so it sets up better, since it’s made with cream cheese instead of simply buttercream.
I took a couple of batches of the donuts to a “breakfast for dinner” potluck at our church. Most people cut the donuts in half and even still, every morsel was gone when I went to take the plate home. Everyone started drooling right away over these lovely donuts. I also took a batch of Apple Raisin Cinnamon Rolls. Those also were cleaned out extremely fast!
I recommend Baked Oreo Donuts for the holidays this year. They’ll be wonderful for a Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s brunch or breakfast. Your family will adore them and the whole batch will be gone before you blink your eyes.
Baked Oreo Donuts are awesome.
Baked Oreo Donuts were wolfed down in no time.
Baked Oreo Donuts are marvelous with a cup of coffee. 🙂
Donuts are wonderful for a holiday breakfast like Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s Day.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the donuts.
Place flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
Stir ingredients to combine. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs.
Add sour cream and chocolate extract.
Add melted butter.
Whisk ingredients to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
Crush Oreo cookies with a rolling pin in a zip lock bag.
Remove Oreo crumbs to a measuring cup.
Add Oreo cookie crumbs to batter.
Stir ingredients to combine. Batter will be very thick. Spoon mixture into well-greased donut pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in center. Do Not Overbake or donuts will become tough.
Allow donuts to cool in pan about 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
While donuts are baking, make icing: Place softened cream cheese and softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla.
Add half-and-half and powdered sugar.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Set aside more Oreo Cookie Crumbs for the top of the donuts.
Spread icing over top of donuts. Then sprinkle with crushed Oreo Cookie crumbs.
Every bite of Baked Oreo Donuts will knock your socks off.
These donuts are so drool-worthy.
Be warned: Baked Oreo Donuts are addictive. This is like eating dessert. 🙂
Oreos make everything better.
Here’s the recipe.
BAKED OREO DONUTS
(Recipe adapted from The Baking ChocolaTess)
Baked Oreo Donuts
- 1 large donut pan
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 1 whisk
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 electric mixer
- 1 Rolling Pin
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. chocolate extract
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 12 Oreo cookies crushed
CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp. salted butter softened
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar (I would increase to 1 1/2 cups, or more if desired)
- 2 tbsp. half-and-half
- 6 Oreo cookies crushed
- Combine cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, half-and-half, sour cream, chocolate extract and melted butter.
- Place Oreos in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin; set aside.
- Combine dry mixture with wet mixture and crushed Oreos, just until mixed.
- Do not over-mix the batter.
- This is a very thick batter.
- Spoon mixture into a Ziplock bag and cut off the corner.
- Pipe the donut mixture into greased donut pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick for doneness.
- Do not over-bake or donuts will become tough.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool in donut pan about 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to ice donuts.
CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- Combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar and half-and-half in a mixing bowl.
- Mix until smooth.
- Spread frosting over top of donuts.
- Sprinkle crushed Oreo cookies over top of donuts.
Recipe adapted from The Baking ChocolaTess.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Baked Oreo Donuts are a wonderful choice for a company breakfast spread.
Chocolate, Oreos and Cream Cheese Icing! Yum.
I’ve been wanting to make an Oreo-flavored donut for about 3 years now and finally got around to doing it.
Baked Oreo Donuts will rock your world!