Beef and Vegetable Potpie
I’ve always loved Potpies. They’re one of those comfort foods that I can eat almost daily. 🙂 For this particular recipe, I used a Homemade Pie Crust with Butter and also tossed in a batch of Apple Butter Pie Crust Cinnamon Rolls. I served it with Cheesy Mexican Cornbread. Oh my. I loved this meal.
Follow Me On Instagram!
Beef and Vegetable Potpie includes stew beef seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning, potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn and peas in a scrumptious beefy broth and wrapped up in a flaky, delicious pastry. This recipe makes three 9-inch pies. I made two with a full crust on top. I made another with two miniature pie plates and used a lattice crust over top of the smaller potpies.
Every bite was drool worthy. If you enjoy hearty and satisfying meals, this one is terrific. If you don’t have time to make your own pie crust, use store bought crust instead. You’ll need four total. I kid you not, this savory and sumptuous potpie will rock your world. Yum.
Beef and Vegetable Potpie is spectacular. It’s doubly good with a batch of Apple Butter Pie Crust Cinnamon Rolls.
These potpies are hearty, filling and so very satisfying.
This mouthwatering beef entree is savory and sumptuous.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients for the beef potpie filling. You’ll also need plain pastry for two double crust pies.
Sprinkle stew beef with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Then dredge stew beef in flour.
Cook in two tablespoons avocado oil in large Dutch oven until beef is no longer pink.
Add beef broth.
The beef broth will fill up about half of the pan. Cover with lid and cook about 30 minutes over low heat, until beef is tender.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet add remaining tablespoon of avocado oil. Add celery, leeks, carrots, potatoes and onion.
Stir ingredients to combine.
Cover vegetables with lid and cook about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove lid. Season vegetables with salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
Transfer vegetables to pot with beef.
Add frozen corn, peas and green beans.
Cover with lid and cook about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat. Meanwhile prepare plain pastry.
When all six pie crusts are rolled out, begin the process of filling the pies.
Top beef filling with top pie crust and flute edges.
Cut slits in the top so steam can escape while baking. Place pie in preheated oven immediately. Then begin work on the next one.
This is one of the miniature pie shells. Fill with beef filling.
Top with lattice crust. Pop pies in the pre-heated oven immediately after you get the top crust on top and flute the edges.
Bake at 300 degrees for about an hour. This is the Beef and Vegetable Potpie with both a top and bottom crust. I gave this one to my son and his wife.
This is one of the miniature potpies with a lattice crust. This will take about 30-45 minutes at 300 degrees to bake.
Serve this comforting beef entree with Apple Butter Pie Crust Cinnamon Rolls. You’ll be licking your lips after every bite.
Truly, this is a scrumptious way to enjoy beef. I made this with Homemade Pie Crust with Butter.
It was fun making these up in individual servings too.
Here’s the recipe.
BEEF AND VEGETABLE POTPIE
(My own concoction)
Beef and Vegetable Potpie
- 1 large Dutch oven with lid or stock pot with lid
- 1 wooden spoon
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 sharp knife to cut vegetables
- 1 vegetable peeler
- 3 9-inch or 10-inch deep dish pie plates
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1 cup green beans frozen
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chunked (I used baby Dutch yellow potatoes)
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 leek green top removed, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour (I used unbleached flour)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 2 lbs. stew beef (I actually used three pounds because I was trying to use it up)
- 1 tbsp. Montreal Steak seasoning
- 3 tbsp. avocado oil divided use
- 6 pie crusts for two 9 or 10-inch deep dish pies
- Prepare enough crust for top and bottom of three regular pie plates.
- Set aside.
- Season stew beef with Montreal steak seasoning.
- Dredge meat in ½ cup flour.
- Heat a Dutch oven with 2 tbsp. avocado oil.
- Add beef and brown until no longer pink.
- Add beef broth, reduce heat to low, cover with lid, cook beef approximately one-half hour or until beef is tender.
- While beef is cooking, chop vegetables.
- In an extra-large skillet, pour remaining tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions, leek and celery to skillet and sauté until veggies are tender (cover with lid during cooking time), about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the beef broth in Dutch and cook over low heat.
- Add corn, peas and green beans and cook about five minutes until veggies are tender.
- Turn off heat.
- Prepare pie crust for top and bottom layers of three 9 or 10-inch pie plates.
- Place bottom pie crust into three deep dish 9-inch pie plates.
- Spoon beef filling into one of the crusts.
- Gently lay the top crust on top of the filling and press down around the edges to seal.
- Roll the edges under and press them a bit harder to ensure the crust is sealed.
- Flute edges.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape while cooking.
- Put pie in preheated 300 degree oven.
- Repeat process with remaining pot pie filling and top crust layer.
- Bake at 300° about an hour, or until crust is baked.
- For large oval or 9×13” baking dishes, bake about 1 hour 20-30 minutes, or until done.
- If pie crust starts to brown, tent with foil to prevent burning or scorching.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting potpie.
- Yield: three 9-inch potpies.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Whether you make this with a full crust on top or merely a lattice crust, both turn out fantastic. This crust was from my Homemade Pie Crust with Butter recipe.
Every bite will have you salivating. 🙂
Everyone has their comfort foods of choice. Beef and Vegetable Potpie is one of mine. Yay.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
Beef and Butternut Squash Potpie
May 16, 2023 at 9:26 pm
My kids loved this recipe, especially the top crust. Thank you so much for this recipe. I will be making this often for my kids.
May 17, 2023 at 1:04 pm
So glad you enjoyed the recipe! I tossed one of the pies into the freezer and just pulled it out to enjoy it again!