Parmesan Romano Meatloaf
Gluten Free Living – 2023
I am always looking for new ways to prepare ground beef (particularly meatloaf) that cut down on some of the processed foods, like bread crumbs for instance. Parmesan Romano Meatloaf is a wonderful way to enjoy meatloaf that’s gluten free and doesn’t have so many fillers. In this recipe, I used Parmesan and Romano Cheeses as the basic binding ingredient. I added mushrooms, onions and bell pepper along with several seasonings. Then I added pizzazz by using Pizza Sauce on top. It was delicious!
Some of you know I’ve been trying to clear out my freezers for the past several months (they were filled, filled, filled with meat!) I need the room so that when we start our Christmas Cookie Extravaganza baking in October, there’s actually room to freeze all the cookies until we’re ready to assemble everything in December. I have used up a lot of meat this year and the freezers are looking more and more bare, but I still have a way to go.
I used up a couple of packages of lean ground beef in this tasty recipe. I served it with a batch of Herb Roasted Parmesan Potatoes and watermelon. It was mouthwatering. For those of you who don’t care for really chunky vegetables in your meatloaf, you can finely dice the onions, bell peppers and mushrooms or you can leave them out. But you will be losing a lot of flavor and texture if you omit the vegetables entirely.
I used a grated Parmesan Romano Italian cheese blend to bind the ingredients in this entree. Adding Pizza Sauce and Italian seasoning on top (and even a sprinkle of more Italian cheese to serve) made this like a Pizza Meatloaf or certainly an Italian-style meatloaf. It was wonderful. Enjoy.
Parmesan Romano Meatloaf is a great entree for weeknight dinners. It’s especially good with Herb Roasted Parmesan Potatoes.
This meatloaf is filled with bell peppers, mushrooms and onions.
The topping uses Pizza Sauce and Italian Seasoning making this meatloaf just pop in flavor. Herb Roasted Parmesan Potatoes is a terrific side dish for this entree.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Place two pounds of lean ground beef in a mixing bowl.
Add eggs, onions, bell peppers and drained, sliced mushrooms.
Add grated Italian cheese blend. (This one included both Parmesan and Romano cheeses). Add seasonings.
Mix ingredients together really well with your hands. Incorporate all the cheese into the mixture.
Grease a rectangular baking dish. Shape meat mixture into a loaf.
Bake at 350 degrees approximately one hour. Drain excess grease.
Spread Pizza Sauce over top. Sprinkle generously with Italian seasoning.
Return to oven and bake approximately ten minutes more until Pizza Sauce is heated through.
Parmesan Romano Meatloaf is a great way to enjoy meatloaf. It’s got the Italian flare of pizza in every bite! It’s really good with Herb Roasted Parmesan Potatoes.
The nice thing about this recipe is it can be oven-ready in about 10 minutes, leaving time to make other side dishes for your meal.
I sprinkled extra Parmesan Romano Cheese over top. This was my personal favorite way to eat the meatloaf.
Here’s the recipe.
PARMESAN ROMANO MEATLOAF
(My own concoction)
Parmesan Romano Meatloaf
- 1 large rectangular glass baking dish
- 1 large mixing bowl
- measuuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 sharp knife to cut vegetables
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 cup Italian blend cheese grated (in a can) or use grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 medium onion chopped or diced finely
- 1/2 medium bell pepper chopped or diced finely
- 4 oz. can mushrooms drained
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried chives
- 14 oz. jar Pizza Sauce (my Kroger brand was gluten free)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, cheese, eggs, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and herbs with your hands.
- Mix thoroughly until very well combined.
- Shape mixture into a loaf and place in a greased rectangular glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350º approximately one hour, or until meat loaf is done.
- Remove from oven; drain any grease.
- Spread pizza sauce over top of the meatloaf and return to oven approximately 5 to 10 more minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over top of the pizza sauce. (You can also add this on top of the Pizza Sauce before rebaking).
- If desired, sprinkle additional Italian Blend Cheese over top of each serving.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
This tasty meatloaf recipe has grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses mixed through the whole loaf!
Try Parmesan Romano Meatloaf with Herb Roasted Parmesan Potatoes. Yum.
Parmesan Romano Meatloaf is delightful Italian fare for dinner!