Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls
Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls are so luscious they seem to just melt in your mouth. No kidding. These sweet rolls include candied Cherry Pineapple mix rolled up inside and they really are sensational. Thick almond buttercream icing tops these rolls off nicely. Every bite is: YES, PLEASE!
I wasn’t planning on making these sweet rolls this Christmas. But after cleaning up everything and putting away all the leftover baking goods from our Christmas Cookie baking, we found another container of this delicious candied fruit mix. I’d already made Cherry Pineapple Date Cookies with the fruit mix, and Candied Pineapple Sweet Rolls with the mix that only includes pineapple. So I decided to make a batch of sweet rolls with this fruit too. Am I glad I did! These sweet rolls were terrific.
I took them out to our Sunday morning Hostess Committee in early November and everyone loved them! We cut them up in small pieces and what didn’t get eaten there was delivered to neighbors. They love my baked goods and are always happy to be on the receiving end.
The nice thing about these sweet rolls is the breadmaker does all the kneading for you! After that you roll out the dough and add the filling. After the dough raises and the rolls are baked, the thick almond icing is dolloped over top. The heat from the rolls will slowly melt the icing so it spreads delightfully, sinking into every cavity in the sweet roll. These rolls are absolutely heavenly. If you enjoy cinnamon rolls as a sweet treat for breakfast, you’ll be drooling over these. 🙂
Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls are sensational!
Almond flavoring adds a great punch to this recipe.
I spread thick almond buttercream icing over top of the the hot rolls when they come out of the oven. The heat from the sweet rolls melts the icing slightly.
We drooled over these Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls. Every bite was heavenly.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients to make the roll dough.
If the butter is cold, sliver it into tiny pieces and place in the breadmaker.
Warm the half-and-half in the microwave at 50% power for about 1 minute 45 seconds. Add to breadmaker canister with butter.
Add bread flour and sugar.
Add salt and yeast.
Place canister in breadmaker and select “dough” setting. This will take approximately 1 hour 45 minutes.
Remove dough from bread canister and roll out into a rectangle with a rolling pin.
I used these ingredients for the filling.
Spread softened butter over top of the dough.
Spread brown sugar over the butter. With the palm of your hand, spread the sugar so it fills in all the crevices.
Place candied cherry pineapple mix on a bread board.
Chop fruit mix into small pieces with a sharp knife.
Spread the chopped fruit mix over top of the brown sugar layer as evenly as possible.
Sprinkle little, tiny dashes of almond extract over the dough as evenly as possible.
Roll the dough up jelly-roll style, as tightly as possible.
Roll all the way to the end.
Transfer the roll to a bread board. Cut one-inch slices out of the roll.
Grease a 9×13″ glass baking dish. Add the rolls, cut-side down.
To raise the dough: I put the dish in the oven at 350 degrees for one minute. Turn off oven. Allow rolls to rest in oven for 20 minutes. Repeat this process for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the rolls are doubled in bulk.
Turn oven on to 350 degrees. Set timer for 17 minutes. Check the middle of the rolls. If too soft, cook an additional 2-3 minutes, or until done.
I used these ingredients for the icing.
Place powdered sugar, softened butter and half-and-half into a mixing bowl.
Add salt and almond extract.
Mix with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Mixture will be thick!
Dollop and spread icing over top of hot rolls with a rubber spatula as soon as they come out of the oven.
Allow the icing to dry about 10-15 minutes before serving.
It’s time to try a bite.
A lot of icing sinks into some of the deeper cavities in the sweet rolls. Marvelous!
Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls are soft and fluffy.
These luscious sweet rolls are to die for!
Here’s the recipe.
CHERRY PINEAPPLE SWEET ROLLS
(My own concoction)
Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls
- 1 9×13" glass baking dish
- 1 breadmaker
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 sharp knife to chop fruit mix
- 1 whisk
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 electric mixer
- 1 spatula
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1/4 cup salted butter cold, cut in slivers or softened (1/2 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half warmed (see note below)
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. bread machine yeast (I prefer Fleischmann's)
- 1/4 cup salted butter softened (1/2 stick)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 8 oz. container candied cherries and pineapple fruit mix
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 tbsp. half-and-half or more, as needed
- dash sea salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Layer ingredients in bread canister in order given.
- Slice butter and spread around in bread canister.
- Warm half-and-half in the microwave approximately one and a half to two minutes until cream is warmed.
- Pour into bread canister.
- Then add bread flour, granulated sugar, salt and yeast.
- Place on dough setting of bread maker.
- This will take approximately 2 hours.
- Remove dough from bread canister and roll out into a very large rectangle.
- Soften butter.
- Spread butter over top of rolled out dough to the edges.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over top.
- With the palm of your hand, gently spread brown sugar evenly over top of butter filling in all the crevices.
- Spread to the edges.
- Sprinkle chopped cherry pineapple mix over top, then sprinkle with almond extract.
- Drop little drops of almond extract over the entire rectangle as evenly as possible.
- Roll up tightly, but gently, jelly-roll style.
- Cut into even one-inch sections with a sharp knife.
- Place cut side up in a greased rectangular baking dish.
- Allow to rise in a warm place about an hour to two hours, until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350° approximately 17-20 minutes or until rolls test done and are no longer gooey in the center.
- Remove from oven and add icing immediately over top of hot rolls.
- Place ingredients in a mixer and beat for several minutes.
- Dollop over top of hot sweet rolls as soon as they come out of oven.
- Spread icing with a rubber spatula so icing covers the rolls completely.
NOTE: To raise the rolls: I turn the oven on 350° for exactly one minute. Turn off heat and slide pan of rolls into the oven (uncovered). After 20 minutes, heat the oven again for one minute. Turn off oven. Allow rolls to raise another 20 minutes. Repeat the same process again by heating oven for one minutes (only). Turn off oven and allow rolls to raise another 20 minutes. If the rolls are raised sufficiently at the hour mark, begin baking, but usually you have to go through this process for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Continue heating for one minute each time. Turn off heat and allow rolls to continue raising for 15-20 minutes each time. Once the rolls have been in the oven between 1 hour 30 minutes and 2 hours, they have usually expanded enough to begin baking. NOTE: I keep the rolls in the oven while the temperature raises to 350°. (This allows the rolls to raise a little more). I set a timer for 17 minutes. The rolls are usually done by that time. But check to make sure they are not doughy or too soft in the middle. If they are, continue baking for up to 2-3 more minutes. If you put the rolls in a preheated oven, it usually takes about 15-17 minutes for them to bake sufficiently. NOTE: For best results, do not use any lower percentage of milk than whole milk. Use butter not margarine and real vanilla extract.
Cherry Pineapple Fruit Mix provided courtesy of Paradise Fruit.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
Yes, we had fresh cherries imported from Argentina in November! I always pick up a bag of cherries when they’re in season.
The cherries and pineapple were delicious, but the almond flavoring really set everything off perfectly.
Everyone gobbled up these scrumptious Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls. Yummy, indeed!
I could have eaten the whole pan of Cherry Pineapple Sweet Rolls. They were THAT good!