Pay Day Bars
Gluten Free Living – 2022
This vintage copycat recipe for Pay Day Bars is phenomenal. It’s loaded with peanuts and peanut butter chips. Plus it includes marshmallows, a can of sweetened condensed milk and a chocolate shell topping that makes the bars irresistible. On top of that, you’ll never believe that this rich, decadent dessert is gluten free. But it is!
I got this recipe over two decades ago when one of the girls where I worked brought it in for a treat one day. It was incredibly, outrageously, overwhelmingly delicious. No kidding. The recipe got taped into my large 3-ringer binders and kind of got lost along the way. When I made up a Pay Day Chocolate Pie a few months ago, I decided to pull the Pay Day Bars recipe out of mothballs and give it a go. I’m so glad I did.
We have several people in our neighborhood who love peanut everything. Because this dessert is so rich I gave small samples to several neighbors who live nearby. Without exception everyone loved these goodies. This delectable dessert bar is really peanuts on steroids! Every bite will rock your world.
Prepare to swoon when you bring a batch of these Pay Day Bars to your next family gathering, tailgating party or potluck. This gooey dessert is sure to please and everyone will surely want more! Even you. 🙂
Pay Day Bars are rich, decadent and absolutely heavenly. 🙂
This recipe uses only 6 ingredients.
You’ll be swooning over every bite of these spectacular bars.
Pay Day Bars are marvelous for tailgating parties, potlucks or any kind of family gathering.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients plus butter.
Spread part of the peanuts on the bottom of an 8×12″ glass baking dish.
Melt butter plus peanut butter chips in a small saucepan over low heat.
Stir continuously so mixture doesn’t scorch and chips are melted.
Add a can of sweetened condensed milk.
Stir to combine and continue cooking over low heat until marshmallows melt.
Here, all the marshmallows have melted.
Pour melted peanut butter/marshmallow mixture over top of peanuts in baking dish.
Cover melted peanut butter layer with remaining peanuts. Press peanuts into the mixture slightly so the peanuts adhere. Cover mixture and refrigerate approximately 2 hours.
Spread chocolate shell coating over top of peanuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Slice and serve!
Be warned! These peanutty Pay Day Bars are addictive!
Chocolate and peanut desserts can’t be beat. The combination is deadly, uh amazing!
Pay Day Bars are outrageously good!
Here’s the recipe.
PAY DAY BARS
(Recipe adapted from Lori Perkins, Baptist General Convention of Texas)
Pay Day Bars
- 1 8×12" glass baking dish
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 whisk
- 1 rubber spatula
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 spatula
- 1 wooden spoon
- 3 cups dry roasted peanuts (salted or unsalted) or more if necessary
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups peanut butter chips
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 14.5 oz. bottle Hershey's milk chocolate shell topping (two 7.25-ounce bottles)
- Layer bottom of a greased 8×12” baking dish with half of the peanuts; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and peanut butter chips over low heat, stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t scorch.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and marshmallows.
- Cook and stir until melted.
- Pour over peanuts in dish and sprinkle remaining peanuts on top to cover the surface.
- Press the peanuts into the peanut butter mixture slightly to adhere.
- Cover and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours.
- Spread shell topping over top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut into bars.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
These drool-worthy dessert bars are perfect for any occasion!
Pay Day Bars are actually gluten free!
Every bite will rock your world!
Are you drooling yet?