Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests
Gluten Free Living – 2023
Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests are outstanding. Shredded sweet potatoes are combined with bacon, both Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and green onions to make these cute, adorable muffin “nests.” They’re really a delightful way to enjoy sweet potatoes and wonderful for a weekend, company or holiday breakfast.
Follow Me On Instagram!
I had a group of ladies over for breakfast in October. Someone else was scheduled to serve as hostess, but had issues that prevented her from doing that. I stepped in at the last moment and offered to have everyone here instead. I made up some Pecan Cinnamon Rolls, Hash Brown Potato Nests, Fried Apples and Sausage and this sweet potato version. I loved them.
I shredded the sweet potatoes in our food processor which is a lot easier than hand grating! Even still, you may prefer to make up the ingredients the night before and then pop them in the oven and bake them the morning you need them. If you do that, you probably need to remove the muffin pan from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking time, otherwise the baking time will change and have to be lengthened.
If you want a terrific side for brunch or a large company breakfast, these Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests are fantastic. Just make sure you cook them long enough. Because the potatoes are fresh and have not been blanched before freezing, they may take a little longer to cook thoroughly. Also be sure to press the grated potatoes between paper towels to squeeze out any excess moisture. That way the potatoes will crisp up on the outside like they should.
And remember, bacon makes EVERYTHING better! 🙂
Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests are a great idea for brunch.
The sweet potato mixture is packed into muffin tins and mounded slightly on top.
Bacon and cheddar cheese add extra oomph to the recipe!
I served these with Pecan Cinnamon Rolls and Hash Brown Potato Nests.
Here’s what I did..
I used these ingredients.
Peel sweet potatoes and shred in a food processor.
Place shredded sweet potatoes between layers of paper towels and pat dry (as well as possible).
Transfer sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
Fry bacon in a skillet until well cooked. (I would have used 4-6 slices if I had had that much on hand).
Transfer cooked bacon pieces to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
To bowl with sweet potatoes, add: green onions, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese and bacon.
Add salt, pepper, parsley, thyme and olive oil.
Stir ingredients to combine.
Spray muffin tins generously with olive oil cooking spray. Spoon and press sweet potato mixture into prepared muffin tins. Mound slightly on top.
Bake at 400 degrees about 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
Transfer Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests to a serving plate.
The green onions darken while cooking at that temperature but they are still delicious.
The Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests work so perfectly with a hardy southern style breakfast! The Pecan Cinnamon Rolls paired wonderfully with them.
Sausage, bacon, what’s not to love with this kind of a breakfast?
Here’s the recipe.
BACON CHEDDAR SWEET POTATO NESTS
(My own concoction)
Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests
- 1 large skillet
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 food processor to shred sweet potatoes
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 2 muffin tin pans (the second muffin pan only needs to have 6 tins)
- 1 wooden spoon
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and shredded
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or use less if you prefer)
- Grate sweet potatoes in food processor.
- Set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- (Olive oil, avocado or coconut oil all work well).
- Fry bacon until crisp but not scorched.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Pat the sweet potatoes between layers of paper towels to remove any excess liquid.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Add green onions, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, the crumbled, cooked bacon, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley and olive oil.
- Stir ingredients well to combine.
- Press sweet potato mixture firmly into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in a preheated 400º oven for about 45 minutes, or until sweet potato nests are crispy.
© Can’t Stay Out of the Kitchen
These Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests are great for dinner too!
These were wonderful served with bacon, Fried Apples and Sausage, breakfast casserole and Pecan Cinnamon Rolls.
Yes, bacon makes everything better!
Bacon Cheddar Sweet Potato Nests are really great for brunch. I enjoyed them for dinner as well!