Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans are some of the BEST baked beans you’ll ever eat. No kidding. These beans are fabulous. On top of that, after browning the meat and onions everything else is just dumped into the casserole and heated through, making this a lower maintenance recipe than some. You can also make this in the crockpot if you don’t have time to watch it on the stove.
This flavorful bean combination is a great addition to your cookbook collection. It uses several different types of beans. The amount is large — 15-16 servings, so it is great to take to a potluck, family reunion, or other social occasion where you have to feed a lot of people. It has savory and sweet flavors blended throughout. It’s really delicious. Our family loves this recipe and I think yours will too.
This version of baked beans is similar to the Calico Bean versions but adds barbecue sauce and liquid smoke in the ingredients to give the dish a little more zip. I found this recipe in a Taste of Home Cookbook, perhaps the ground beef one or another specialty cookbook rather than an annual recipes cookbook. Everyone who eats beans this way usually doesn’t want to go back to the plain and simple pork & beans out of a can.
If you’re looking for a baked beans recipe to WOW your company, Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans will surely do it. If you just love baked beans you need to give this a try. The flavors can’t be beat.
When I originally published this recipe in June 2012, I had just begun my blog a week beforehand. I retook pictures in November 2012, but they were still made with an inferior iPhone 3 at the time so they were less than pleasing. I’ve been going through all my first-year blog posts and remaking the recipes so I can get new pictures that are more appealing. I recently remade this recipe (May 2015) for a large potluck at our church and retook pictures beforehand.
Everyone at church raved over this recipe when I served it, and many circled back and asked me for the recipe! It’s a baked bean recipe that can’t be beat! 🙂
Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans is one of the BEST baked beans recipes you’ll ever eat!
Here’s a serving of these delicious beans. They have chili, pinto beans or navy beans, black beans, great northern beans, lima beans, pork and beans, and red or kidney beans.
This recipe makes a huge pot of Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans.
Here’s what I did.
I used these ingredients.
Fry a pound of ground beef in a skillet. You can also use ground turkey, instead. Add a pound of bacon. Cut bacon in 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces and cook with ground meat in skillet. Cook until done. Drain.
Add drained beans to a crockpot.
Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, a tablespoon of liquid smoke, 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar, 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic, a teaspoon of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, an 18-oz. bottle of KC Masterpiece original BBQ sauce.
Add cooked ground beef and bacon.
Stir beans thoroughly making sure seasonings are well dispersed. Bake in a crockpot a couple of hours on high.
Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans are ready to ladle into dishes and serve.
Here’s the recipe.
HEARTY COWBOY BAKED BEANS
(Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Cookbook recipe, 2003)
- 1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained (ground turkey can also be substituted)
- ½ to 1 lb. bacon, cut in 1-2” segments, cooked and drained
- 1 can lima beans, drained
- 1 can red beans, drained (I like these better than kidney beans)
- 1 can butter beans, drained
- 2 lg. cans [url href=”http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/index.jsp” target=”_blank” title=”bushes baked beans”]Bush’s[/url] pork ‘n beans, with brown sugar or honey (DO NOT DRAIN)
- 1 can navy or great northern beans, drained
- 1 can black beans drained, or 1 can pinto or chili beans (or you can use all if you like!)
- 1 bottle [url href=”http://www.kcmasterpiece.com/” target=”_blank” title=”kc masterpiece bbq sauce”]KC Masterpiece[/url] BBQ sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. liquid smoke
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (I buy the stuff in the jar)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Brown ground beef and bacon.
- In large Dutch Oven or roaster combine all the ingredients.
- Cook on medium heat about an hour.
- Or you can put in your crockpot.
- Cook about 3 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low.
Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans are great to take for potlucks, backyard barbecues and Fourth of July parties.
The combination of barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar and spices cause Hearty Cowboy Baked Beans to have spectacular taste.
You may also enjoy these delicious recipes!
You may find these items helpful for making this recipe.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $31.99Was: $39.00
Price: Check on Amazon