Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice
2013 – Gluten Free Living
Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice is such a scrumptious beef entree. One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s made in the crockpot. I have to admit I love cooking in my crockpot. This is especially the case during hot Texas summers when I prefer not using the ovens quite so much. Crockpot recipes are so easy, and you don’t have to stand over a hot stove stirring and stirring! Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice is a tasty, savory recipe made in the crockpot that’s quick, easy, economical, and most of all HEALTHY!
I soak brown whole grain rice almost as long as the main recipe has to cook in the crockpot so all the bad enzymes are removed from the grain and the good enzymes are activated to make digestion easier. Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice is made with gluten free flour, too, so it is gluten free and dairy free for those who are looking for those kinds of recipes.
A few weeks ago I was looking for ways to use up some beef stew meat and steaks in my freezer. I came across several Beef Tips recipes. But without exception, every single one used canned soups or gravy mix or both! Canned soups and instant gravy mixes are filled with MSG and so many other tumor and cancer-causing fillers.
I’ve really been trying to avoid them as much as possible and eat cleaner, healthier foods–usually from unprocessed foods, or at least without all the excess junk. It’s hard because so many of my older recipes are made with these ingredients. I still make those recipes on occasion. But more and more, I’m trying to provide healthier options for our family. This recipe is one of those healthier options.
Because I was unable to find any healthy version for Beef Tips I decided to come up with my own version. I have to admit this beef entree turned out exceptionally well. So well, in fact, that I will probably make Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice my standard recipe for Beef Tips from now on.
I made my own sauce using MSG-free beef broth and Tamari soy sauce which was incredibly tasty, and the sauce was thickened by dredging the beef in the gluten free flour. This recipe only took about 3 1/2 hours in the crockpot. Actually, it was probably done in 3 hours on high, so it cooks relatively quickly for crockpot cooking.
If you’re looking for a healthy version of Beef Tips, than look no farther than Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice. The mushrooms, onions, leeks, and garlic provide wonderful flavors and texture to this great main dish entree. Enjoy this guilt-free version of beef tips with your family this weekend!
Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice is a healthy, low calorie, gluten free, dairy free main dish.
This guilt-free version of beef tips is incredibly tasty but uses healthy ingredients instead of canned soups or gravy mix.
I served Healthy Beef Tips and Rice with a delicious new bread recipe called Garden Patch Bread. This easy crockpot recipe is great for weeknight suppers when you’re short on time.
Here’s what I did.
Pour some gluten free flour (or use all purpose flour if you’re not gluten intolerant) onto a plate. Dredge beef in flour.
Spray a large crockpot with olive oil cooking spray. Toss in the dredged beef, then add sliced onions separated into rings.
Add sliced mushrooms.
Add sliced leeks. Don’t omit the leeks. They add so much flavor to this dish. Add beef broth.
Add kosher or sea salt, pepper, Tamari soy sauce and minced garlic.
You can see from this picture that the beef tips make their own sauce from the flour, beef broth, and Tamari. This recipe cooked in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
To serve: spread rice on a plate.
Serve Beef Tips either over top of rice or on the side as preferred. Use chop sticks if desired!
Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice is so easy to make. Just toss everything into the crockpot and that’s it!
Here’s the recipe.
HEALTHY BEEF TIPS OVER RICE
(My own concoction)
- 1 ½ lbs. stew beef, sirloin sizzlers, or rib-eye steak, cut in strips
- 16-oz. fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 large onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 leeks, green tops removed, sliced
- 1 heaping tbsp. minced garlic from a jar
- ½ to ¾ cup gluten free flour
- 16-oz. beef broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. Tamari low sodium, gluten free soy sauce
- 2 cups brown rice, soaked, cooked
- Place 2 cups rice in bowl and fill with water.
- Soak for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, dredge beef in flour.
- Spray crockpot with olive oil cooking spray.
- Toss dredged beef into crockpot.
- Top with mushrooms, onions, leeks, and garlic.
- Add beef broth, salt, pepper, and Tamari sauce.
- Cook about 3 hours in crockpot on high.
- About 45 minutes before beef tips are cooked, rinse rice and place in stockpot with 6 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then turn down to medium and cook about 30 minutes.
- Stir and fluff rice every 10 minutes.
- If all the water has not evaporated or cooked down into the rice by that time, remove lid and cook another 5-10 minutes until completely cooked.
- To serve: Place rice on plates, top with beef tips.
Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice is a truly healthy option for dinner for those trying to eat clean or eat more of a paleo diet. The sauce in the beef tips was terrific. I didn’t use anything fancy–just salt, pepper, Tamari and beef broth–but the flavors were amazing.
I served Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice with Garden Patch Bread.
We loved Healthy Beef Tips Over Rice. It’s easy, economical, healthy and gluten free.