Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches are awesome! I really love guacamole. Anyone who follows my blog realizes that. I also love cheese. That’s no surprise to anyone either! I decided to put some of my Chunky Homemade Guacamole on a sandwich with Swiss cheese slices and see how it would turn out. It was wonderful! In fact, I probably could have eaten several of these sandwiches in one sitting had I been so inclined. But, alas, I stayed with just one so I wouldn’t get on the scales the next day and find that I’d blimped out to 200 lbs. overnight! Grilled sandwiches are certainly a lot of fun.
Since I’m not a huge sandwich fan, the sandwich has to be pretty spectacular for me to eat it. That means plenty of flavor and NOT something dull like Ham and Cheese or Turkey and Cheese. Ugh. I’ll take Peanut Butter and Jelly over either of those two combinations any day. Not only that, I need variety in my food. I don’t like eating the same thing day in and day out.
It’s only very rare foods that I can do that with and sandwiches aren’t one of them! Well, Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches are right up my alley. Lots of gooey deliciousness, lots of flavor, lots of texture, and not the same-old-same-old tired varieties of most sandwiches.
When it comes to sandwiches, I’m probably more daring than with any other type of food. I’ll try any combination (as long as it’s NOT meat and cheese). I prefer sandwiches with lots of veggies and Guacamole and Swiss cheese answers that preference since it has lots of onion, avocado, tomatoes and then it’s spiced up with cilantro. Yay!
While I provide approximate ingredients for my sandwiches you can always add or subtract what’s right for you and your family. If you’re looking for a healthy, clean-eating (but not necessarily low calorie) sandwich then Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches are a great option since I even use homemade bread with them.
Quite frankly, my Chunky Homemade Guacamole recipe is spectacular in my opinion, so anytime I can eat it I’m in seventh heaven. And, it’s certainly great on these sandwiches. The next time you mix up a batch of homemade guacamole consider making up a batch of these sandwiches at the same time. If you’re guacamole lovers like me, you’ll love them.
Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches are spectacular!
Here you can see the melted cheese in the middle. These are great sandwiches to make up for Meatless Mondays.
If you enjoy Tex-Mex foods you will enjoy eating these anytime!
Here’s what I did.
Make up a batch of Chunky Homemade Guacamole. This will only take about 5 minutes. I didn’t actually make this as chunky as usual but, instead, I mashed the avocados a little before mixing.
Place one or two pieces of Swiss cheese on each piece of bread. I used homemade Parmesan Pine Nut Bread which was really sturdy. I recommend a rye, sourdough, pumpernickel or artisan bread for these sandwiches, because regular bread might fall apart a little more easily.
Spread guacamole over one slice of bread.
Sprinkle both slices with pepper, to taste.
Melt a tablespoon of butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place sandwich in skillet and cover with lid. Grill about 5-10 minutes before turning sandwich over.
With a pancake turner, carefully invert sandwich and grill the remaining side another 5-10 minutes. Cover with lid. If the cheese doesn’t melt to your satisfaction place sandwich on microwavable plate and microwave about 15-20 seconds. The cheese should melt adequately by then.
We thought Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches were sensational!
Here’s a look at the interior of the sandwich.
Here’s the recipe.
GUACAMOLE AND SWISS CHEESE SANDWICHES
(My own concoction)
- ½-3/4 cup [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/04/28/chunkyhomemade-guacamole/” target=”_blank” title=”chunky homemade guacamole”]Chunky Homemade Guacamole[/url]
- pepper, to taste
- 3 or 4 pieces Swiss cheese, as desired
- 2 slices bread or homemade [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/10/02/parmesan-pine-nut-bread/” target=”_blank” title=”parmesan pine nut bread”]Parmesan Pine Nut Bread[/url]
- Melt a tablespoon or so of butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Lay bread pieces on counter.
- Place Swiss cheese over top of each piece.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Spoon guacamole on one piece of the bread.
- Invert remaining piece of bread so cheese is on top of the guacamole.
- Grill sandwich in skillet about 5-10 minutes, covered, before flipping sandwich over and grilling the other side 5-10 minutes, covered.
- Do not use high heat or bread will scorch. [br]
- [b]NOTE:[/b] If the cheese hasn’t melted to your satisfaction, place sandwich on a microwavable plate and microwave 15-30 seconds on reduced power—about 80%.
Serve Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches with a side of chips, crackers, fruit or more guacamole and tortilla chips!
This recipe was so simple, but also very good. Guacamole and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches are so easy to make. If you like Guacamole you will love these sandwiches!