Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches are simply breathtaking in taste! If you like avocados and tomatoes–especially if you like them together–Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches should be at the top of your list to make for a quick Saturday or Sunday lunch!
There are two keys to making these sandwiches turn out perfectly. First, use a good, substantial bread to start. Artisan bread works really well, like Italian or Sourdough. Even Texas Toast would work fine. I made a batch of homemade, no-knead Crusty Bread earlier this week and used that. This no-knead bread is SO easy to make and it’s perfect for grilled sandwiches because it has a lot of body.
Softer breads don’t work quite as well as they will fall apart when grilling and you need a strong, substantial bread to hold all the goodies in this sandwich. The second key is to cook the sandwiches over a low-medium heat in your cast-iron skillet and keep a glass lid on top. The low heat helps the sandwich not to scorch, and keeping the lid on top helps the cheese to melt sufficiently while softening the avocados and tomatoes. It takes a little longer this way, but the sandwich is perfection!
When my pastor’s wife texted me last week to get John’s Grilled Swiss Cheese and Tomato Sandwich recipe, I thought it would be good to try this version with avocado. Apparently, Hailey and I were on the same page, because when they made their sandwiches her husband’s was made with John’s traditional recipe and she made hers with avocado!
I can’t get enough of avocados in anything, while my husband absolutely detests avocados! So, I’m always looking for a way to sneak avocados in food. This sandwich fits the bill wonderfully.
If you’re looking for a delightful way to get your kids to eat their veggies–tomatoes and avocados are so good for you–then try out this quick and easy recipe sometime soon. You will love the results. It’s a great way to use up an abundance of summer tomatoes or avocados, too! You will LOVE this sandwich!
Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches are a great option to make for lunches or dinners on days when you are short on time.
These sandwiches are actually healthy!
I love tomatoes and avocados and add Swiss cheese in the mix and this is a sandwich to die for! Look at all that gooey cheese! Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches taste amazing.
Here’s what I did.
Place two slices of artisan-type bread on a plate. I used homemade, no-knead Crusty Bread for this sandwich. Place a slice of Swiss cheese in the center of each piece of bread. Then take a slice of Swiss cheese, break it in half and place each half so it covers the parts of the bread without cheese. Add sliced tomatoes over the cheese overlapping slightly.
Add avocado slices over top of the tomatoes, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Place the bread with just the cheese carefully overtop of the other piece of bread with all the tomatoes and avocados. Melt butter over low to medium heat in cast-iron skillet. Place sandwich carefully into pan on top of butter. Having a sturdier bread helps this recipe work a lot better. Cover the cast-iron skillet with a lid so the sandwich cooks and cheese melts properly.
I grilled it about 10-15 minutes on one side before using a large spatula and carefully turning the sandwich over intact (without all the stuff falling out!) I grilled the sandwich another 10-15 minutes until both sides were nicely browned and the cheese was melted. This is what the sandwich looked like just before I removed it from the skillet.
Here’s a look at the inside texture of Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches. They taste wonderfully!
Here’s another view so you can see the avocados and tomatoes are slightly softened from grilling the bread. Serve with chips, crackers, or fruit.
Here’s a leaning stack so you can see all that ooey, gooey, melted Swiss cheese. Swiss cheese is so much better than cheddar cheese on this sandwich, in my opinion. Doesn’t this sandwich just make you drool? All I can say, is it was fantastic!
Here’s the recipe.
GRILLED SWISS, TOMATO AND AVOCADO SANDWICHES
(Recipe inspired from my husband’s Grilled Swiss Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches)
- 2 slices artisan bread like Italian, [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/04/26/quick-sourdough-bread/” target=”_blank” title=”quick sourdough bread”]Sourdough[/url], a [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2013/06/28/whole-wheat-no-knead-bread/” target=”_blank” title=”whole wheat no-knead bread”]hard-wheat bread[/url] or [url href=”http://cantstayoutofthekitchen.com/2012/06/14/crusty-bread/” target=”_blank” title=”crusty bread”]Crusty Bread[/url]
- 4 Swiss cheese slices, two of the slices cut in half
- 5 thin slices tomato
- ½ of an avocado, peeled, and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tbsp. butter
- Heat cast-iron skillet to low-medium heat.
- Add butter and melt.
- Spread two pieces of bread on a plate.
- Place a slice of Swiss cheese in the center of each piece of bread.
- Break remaining two cheese slices in half and place a half on each side of the bread overlapping the center piece of cheese.
- Add the sliced tomatoes overlapping each other and spread across one of the slices of bread with cheese.
- Add sliced avocado overtop of the tomatoes overlapping the edges.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Place remaining piece of bread with cheese slices carefully over top.
- Place sandwich carefully in cast-iron skillet and cover with a glass lid.
- You will cook each side between 10-15 minutes over a low to medium heat.
- With a spatula, carefully turn sandwich over so remaining side can brown lightly.
- Cover with lid so cheese melts.
- Cook an additional 10-15 minutes until done.
- Remove sandwich with spatula to plate.
- Cut in half to serve.
Doesn’t this look yummy?
Grilled Swiss, Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches are so quick and easy to make. You can have a healthy lunch or supper ready in a snap with this easy recipe.